Carlow, Kilkenny to Dublin


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Kilkenny » Kilkenny
August 23rd 2016
Published: August 23rd 2016
Edit Blog Post

Carlow, Kilkenny, Dublin

Exploring the little town of Carlow this morning we had a walk along the Barrow track which is beside the rive Barrow to an old graveyard dating from 1607. While we were looking around there the dragon boat team came rowing by. The stroke was sitting up the end with a very large drum for the time keeping. (note Yvonne Robinson). Next we visited the Sensory Delta Garden. This turned out to be amazing and well worth the visit. It is a series of small garden rooms maybe 18, all different themes with water features, sculpture and plants promoting sensory connection. It has been built by the Delta centre, a centre for training residential and respite for adults with intellectual abilities. (With government and private funding). It was fantastic.

Onto Kilkenny, a medieval town which was the oldest walled town in the country. Kilkenny Castle sits atop the hill and has done since the 1300’s. It has a complicated history of invasions and take overs and was remodelled a few times most latterly in Victorian times. It resulted in the springing up of a thriving and busy market town. The little roads and laneways twist and turn around at the foot of the castle with is set into extensive parkland. We had lunch in a very old cute pub with sports memorabilia all over the walls and ceiling.

On to Dublin with himself on GPS and me at the wheel. Did finally make it to our accommodation in the middle of the city. Not without a few wrong turns and quite a lot of “discussion”. It is quite difficult downtown as there is road works everywhere as they are relaying tram tracks (had then got rid of them, decided to get them back). Nobody seems to drive at the speed limit, they are very impatient, buses everywhere and jay walking is allowed (its Ireland). The closest parking to the hotel was a block away due to bus stops all along the road. Anyway got rid of our bags and the car by returning it to the airport as planned.

Definitely wine o’clock.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.292s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0947s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb