Sunshine and goodbyes.


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Kerry
October 10th 2012
Published: October 10th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Valentia BayValentia BayValentia Bay

As we visited to Skellig Island exhibit, we soaked up the morning sun! :)
This morning I had to say goodbye to my best friend as he loaded his duffle into a taxi and returned to the States. 3 weeks ago, Matthew left GCU in Phoenix with the blessing and encouragement of the coaching staff. They all agreed that he would come to Limerick with a plan to join the Munster Thunder premier volleyball club as either a player or coach. With that experience as a replacement, his commitment to the GCU team could be postponed until the spring season, as Matt would be gaining valuable time playing abroad. Well, go figure, the volleyball here isn't the most elite. It wasn't a setting that Matt felt would promote growth for him as a coach or player, and ultimately he decided not to be a part of it.

Now, don't get me wrong, Ireland is a beautiful place. It has so much to offer. But when your only option for activity dries up and your girlfriend is in class or teaching all day, it's a cloudy green prison. Needless to say, the best thing for us both (and those lucky v-ballers at GCU) was for Matt to return and do what he does best.
Moo!Moo!Moo!

Loving this fwiend I found on Valentia Island.

After chasing one another all over God's green earth this last year (AZ, CA, HI, PA, Puerto Rico, Belgium, France, Ireland...) I'm exhausted and torn apart. Long distance dating is not as easy as we may make it look, folks. 😉 Those smiling faces, smashed together with gorgeous and exotic backdrops, put in a lot of time and effort to stay afloat. Sadly, (and I mean really sadly) as we said goodbye this morning, it was for the last time. Only time and space will tell if we'll find one another again. He knows what he has meant to me and that I wish him every happiness. (Are you crying yet? I sure am.)



So, I'll share some photos of our last hurrah this past weekend. (This is the "sunshine" I referred to in the title. It can't all be heartbreak, right?)

We went on a trip to the Ring of Kerry. We laughed, loved, and soaked up the sights and sun rays as Kerry swept us off our feet. Valentia Island, Cahersiveen, and Killarney National Park were our big stops. We learned ceili dancing, had a trivia night, and listened to guest speakers (A local dairy
Ballinskelligs BeachBallinskelligs BeachBallinskelligs Beach

Old castle ruins at low tide.
farmer and a Kerry Gaelic footballer. Awesome.) It was the most beautiful 2 days. Great company and the Ireland of my dreams. I hope you enjoy the photos, although they can barely capture the beauty.

I'm off to devour every carb in the house and then sleep it off. If prayer is your thing, keep Matt and I in 'em. We'll both need a few a day, I think.

Hugs to you all.

Slainte,

Whitney


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Old stone fortOld stone fort
Old stone fort

We enjoyed out walk to, it , and around this old stone fort, near Cahersiveen.
Me and the bayMe and the bay
Me and the bay

Here I at on the dock at Valentia. We were so lucky to see the sun. :)
SkelligsSkelligs
Skelligs

In the distance you can see both Skellig Islands. The larger, Skellig Michael, has a large stone monastery only visitable on fair weather days.
Crag CaveCrag Cave
Crag Cave

Visiting old caverns at Castle Island, Kerry. Dark, cold, awesome!
Daniel O'Connell's HomeDaniel O'Connell's Home
Daniel O'Connell's Home

Here in Derrynane is his family's home. Gorgeous costal views and grasslands.
Jaunting cartsJaunting carts
Jaunting carts

At the Muckross House, Killarney National Park.


10th October 2012

proud of you both for making hard choices that sadly have to be made! now go on and kick ireland's ass!

Tot: 0.272s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0614s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb