Ireland


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Kerry » Killarney
April 11th 2011
Published: April 11th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Hello.

Just starting by saying I just completely a huge entry and then the internet cut out and it didnt save. So now I have a limited time left on the internet. Frustrating!

So to start again!

The giants causeway: the causeway is 40,000 Basalt columns and a 400 ft cliff. Views were great but it was extremely windy.

After visiting the causeway we drove down to Derry or Londonderry (it has two names). Derry is the second largest city in northern Ireland and has a darker past than Belfast. Derry has seen a lot of murder and death caused from the catholic Protestant divisions. The blackest of these happened on bloody sunday in January 1972. Derry was divided into two, which the bog side turned into free Derry where the ira would control the streets. The British troops moved into the bogside in July 1972 to demolish the free Derry and to take control of the city. Went to the free Derry museum where the guides brother actually died on the battle of bloody Sunday.

After Derry we drove north west to the town of donegal. The town was lovely and the people were fantastic. The owner of the b&b was extemely helpful wanting to make sure we didn't miss anything in donegal. The waiter at the restaurant actually ran next door to buy cranberry juice because I asked if they had any. The owner at the pub we went to played the accordion and locals would join him to sing some local songs. It felt like I had experienced real traditional Ireland.

The next day we drove from Donegal to the Slieve League. The league is a sea cliff which are thought to be the highest in Europe. Walked the 3 km track up to the cliffs.

Drove back to donegal for lunch. Walked around the town And saw Donegal castle.

In the afternoon, drove from donegal to Sligo. Wasn't a lot to do in Sligo so we only stopped over night and then the next day (8) drove to Westport for lunch. Westport is a small town with only 3 major streets. Very pretty witha. River running through the middle of it.


Left westport and continued south to clifden. Drove to sky road, which traces a loop out to the township of Kingston and back to clifden.


Left clifden and drove to Galway. Galway is a big city and had a great shopping area. Walked around the city and saw the Spanish arch and the salmon weir. After spending some time in Galway we drove further south to limerick.

Didnt do a lot in limerick. This was mainly because ewe were told in donegal that limerick was known as the stabbing city! With that in mind we didn't stray too far from the hotel!

Had a bit of a lazy morning and then drove down to the Dingle Peninsula. The peninsula is a 50 km drive which takes in the westerly points of Europe. The drive took about 2 hours as there were some really great views and walks to do along the way.

Drove from Dinegal to Killarney. Today we droe the Ring of Kerry which takes in the county of Kerry along the coast. Views would have been great and some were but the weather was a little temperamental.

Overall Ireland has been fantastic. The weather has been ok, some days it has been 20 degrees while other days it has been 9! Only cork and Dublin to go then back to Scotland. Have two weeks there and then not sure yet! A few ideas but nothing booked. Will look into that when I'm in scotland.

Had better go I'm out of time. Will write again which I can. B




Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0407s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb