Day 9 Dingle


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Kerry » Dingle Peninsula
September 21st 2006
Published: September 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

After our first full Irish breakfast together, (oddly just about the same as our full English & full Scottish breakfast) we were off on our tour of the Dingle Peninsula. Our van was a bit smaller than we had anticipated, so it just made for a cozy day together. Our driver’s name is Bat (short for Bartholomew), and a great guy. Answered all questions, stopped at every whim. We drove up through the highest pass in Ireland (O’Conner pass). We ran into some sheep walking across our tiny little one lane road, so we just pulled over, hopped out, got wet, and took some great photos. We went to Dunberg Fort Dating back to the Iron age, and Gallarus Oratory, Ireland’s oldest Christian Church.(circa.6 th to 9th century) A lot of the area, was Irish (Gaelic) and it felt like going back in time. It was quiet a dreary and rainy day, but it did not stop any of us from hopping out at every chance we got to take photos and hike down into these wonder historical ruins, or stop to pet a pony in the field. We had lunch in the little town of Dingle, and spent some time visiting all the little local shops. Mike and I found a little woolen outlet shop, and came away with a bit more weight for our luggage. We arrived in Killarney where we checked into Husseys, our next B&B. It was a wonderful little place. Again over a little local pub at the end of the main street in Killarney. We had plenty of time to walk the entire little town. We shopped, and then hit the ATM. (So we could shop more) We went back to the B & B, which had a sweet little sitting room with a fire place . We were able to connect to the internet, so we spent some time updating our journals and going through our pictures. I only managed to send one more day out , but hopefully there will be several more soon.
We found ourselves ready for food and we went in a quaint pub that had some pretty good music and some coverage of the Ryder cup. Our only problem was they didn’t serve food. After asking if it was ok, Mike & Ted were off to the pizza parlor down the street and brought in take out. Three pizza’s and some good Irish music later, we all drifted down the street to Hussey’s for a very quiet and restful night .




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 70; dbt: 0.0664s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb