Dingle


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Kerry » Dingle Peninsula
February 26th 2007
Published: February 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


This weekend Bonnie, Corinna and I decided to take a spontaneous trip to Dingle. (Yep, that's right, Dingle). Pretty much we decided to visit based on the name, and it ended up being an amazing trip!

We left Saturday morning to catch the bus that would take us to Dingle. Although the trip was almost 4 hours, it went by quickly because the scenery was beautiful: lots of green and sheep. (It was a good bus experience, despite often feeling like the bus was about to tip over the edge of the very narrow roads we were driving down).

Once we got into Dingle, we checked into The Rainbow Hostel, which was actually really nice. (I was prepared for a sketchy experience). It was very warm and friendly, there was a huge kitchen, the beds were comfy and we shared a room with 2 backpacking french girls.

After we checked in we walked to the main part of Dingle, and soon realized that no matter where you were the view was spectacular! (We also lucked out by having amazing weather)! Once we got into town, it was about 4:00 and we realized how hungry we were, so we kept stopping into the millions of pubs, but none started serving food until later. After awhile we finally found a pub that was serving dinner, and also quickly learned that when Ireland is playing England in rugby, you must NEVER block the television for more than a second.

After eating we walked around some more, then found a more happening pub to catch the end of the game. It was packed: old people, little kids, teenagers - you could barely move. Fortunately Ireland won the match and everyone went crazy yelling and chanting and it was amazing.

Later we went back to our hostel to get some sleep. The next day we did a lot of walking and exploring, and I got some great pictures, although they really don't do Dingle justice.

So after much walking and many dingle jokes later, we got on our bus and returned safely back to Limerick. I finally feel like I got to see the 'real' Ireland, as well as survive my first hostel experience.

Next week: GALWAY!


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

irishirish
irish

in Dingle


26th February 2007

I'm so glad you're having a great time! Dingle sounds fun. Also: as a side note, do you remember how much the bus cost? Shanks. i loves you.
26th February 2007

I too visited the Dingle
Alice you're making me homesick for my homeland lol lol and you're going to love Galway I'm going to try and leave the name of a fantastic pub my brother and I went to when there it was probably the best one outside of Jonny Fox's in all of Ireland (in my vast 1 month knowledge of the country) love you keep having an amazing time!!!! <3 Kelly
27th February 2007

heh heh heh
dingle . . . heh heh heh [santa claus conquers the martians/dirty old man laugh]
26th March 2007

Dingle me This...
Where does the name come from?

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 36; dbt: 0.0315s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb