Adventures with Batman and Robin


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Galway
May 19th 2009
Published: May 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

ok so let me see if i can get detailed here as to what i have done. as of now i am in Galway. i made it here yesterday, but let me back up a few days.

My luggage arrived here hmmmm Saturday evening around 7 pm???? i think, my days are sooooo screwed up. I have been really paling around with John and Brent..i said his name was brett its brent...oops

so saturday in dublin we did the bus tour around dublin i went to the guiness brewery and went into gravity bar that sits at the very top of it...you can see all of dub on top of it...very cool indeed. of course it was raining the whole time but it was quite neat. we also went to trinity college and saw the book of kells. please google this. this library is unbelievable. the smell of these old books to see this again amazing. to walk the streets of ireland is really similar to new orleans. cobble stone really small alleys but much safer...haha ppl are very friendly here.

john and brent have rented a car to head over to galway and they talked me into going with them because we were on the same schedule-well for the most part...they have a run back in dublin but they were going hiking in the mountains so since we were staying at the same place I skipped out on my bus and i hitched a ride with them into galway...ok everyone take a deep breathe...i knew they were not trying to kidnap me or anything...LOL

so this next section involves my adventurs with batman aka john and robin aka brent.
john got his name batman because he has EVERYTHING!!!!! when i tell you he has it all it is labeled in ziploc bags and you should see this backpack. he is an engineer need i say more. he is prepared for malaria and i am not kidding! soi call him batman. and when i tell you i have see every city from dublin to the cliffs of moher...i have seen it all...i have been one side of ireland to the other.

we drove the car to galway to the hostel to check in...then we walked around a little bit then decided to hop in the car and head out while it was still pretty, i mean
Socks with flopsSocks with flopsSocks with flops

Thanks to Batman my feet were warm!!!
the sun was actually out yesterday and go hiking the cliffs of moher. we also wanted to go to doolin. so the adventure begins! we take off in this car...oh by the way cars here are really really little. like AMY size. and batman had to stop at every single site to take a picture. everything was so beautiful but the problem was as it got to more country roads you could barely fit 2 cars on these roads...OMG i thought i was going to have a panic attack...esp when someone was trying to also take pics and driving. but i must say i can't put into words what i saw and the pictures just don't do any of this justice. when they say 20 shades of green wow. we saw different castles along the way and we stopped and batman keeps taking us in various directions...it should have only taken us say maybehour to get to cliffs i think it took us like 3. we stopped in this town called ballyvaughn pop 400. it reminded me of mayberry. we stopped in this pub and talked to one of the locals there. hopped back in the car and eventually made it to the cliffs. and boy i am glad we decided to go when it was such good weather because well by the time we got there it wasn't...LOL if you look at a map of ireland. galway to cilffs of moher...and look at all the towns in between...we were in everyone...i wish i could remember all of them...

ok so the cliffs of moher. this isn't fair for one...i am doing this with marathon runners and cyclists...i am panting...batman is running all over the place acting like a 10 year old. lol...me and robin are actually just taking our time. so they have this wall all along it you can walk...you get to one point and there is this sign that says no trespassing, dangerous unstable cliffs...and well everyone just seems to ignore that...lol...ppl go right around it. you can walk right up to the edge...it is really really crazy...water down below is green blue clear...green cliffs...there is a castle...simply breathtaking...i think i uploaded one to facebook...not sure. google that too....me and robin headed back because we realized we could get to this other castle but batman oh he was determined...and well it was about to downpour...we headed back and left batman. to no avail 30 minutes later batman returns and he accomplished his mission...he made it and i have no clue how he did that....BLOODY HELL i said...lol

ok so this is a really cool story...a irish friend of theres told them to go to doolin, this is another little town known for music and such. their irish friend told them to get in touch with Ted. Ted is this guy who is an irish musician...they didnt know much about this guy but once we got into doolin we were suppose to call him. we parked and called. know one thing about the irish, they are very vague about directions...oh come up the hill, take a left , blah blah...ok are you kiddingme...UP THE HILL???? haha...everything is a hill...so we talk to Ted...he tells us to go up a hill...haha..take a right all this stuff...it took us 2 times to call him and then we stopped this lady and said hey do you know ted? lol ted the musicans house? and sure enough, she said , oh yeah its the house on the hill@! WTF people... oh and another thing you will notice. they paint they doors like blue, red, green, yellow. they can have a plain house but with a bright yellow door. but anyway going back, so we finally find Ted....come to find out Ted is a 72 year old man who has one leg. this man was just so full of wisdom and he was battled bone cancer, lung cancer etc. such a great soul. he took us out to his garden and showed us his property. his house surely does sit on a hill that over looks galway bay, cliffs of moher, and i forget the third thing...as we left his house the most beautiful sunset...he has the best view ever! one thing he made me do was sing on this 1980 karoke machine to the beatles...hahaha..songs are loaded on a floppy disk. i have never seen anything like it. and yes he made me sing...oh god! i made robin and batman join in...we sang lady madonna. then we sang peaceful easy feeling by the eagles. I can honestly say i will never get a chance to sing karaoke with a 72 year old one legged irish man again! what an experience.

so after that we hopped back in the car back into galway. this time another adventure. i think my bad luck started to rub off on these guys. not only did the GPS go out on the way up there on this country roads...but now the transmission. hahaha...oh yeah....engine light came on robin is driving now now in the dark on a road that you can barely fit 2 cars on out in the middle of nowwhere...batman ison the phone with galway airport because they have a dropoff there. they tell him that no sir we have no cars so we can not help you....batman wants to drop the car off at the airport and rent another one from another company robin wants to just go straight to hostel and deal with it in the morning...right now we are working on about 1030 pm. so what ended up happening was we drove to airport, rented a car from another rental company and just ditched the other car....lol...oh it was an eventful night to say the least.

these guys are worse than woman i have learned...we had so much crap in this car. they went grocery shopping ...so you can only imagine the stuff we had to get out...esp batmans things. I must say i have learned alot from them. what to bring what to wear what not to wear. they know there stuff for sure! So we arrive back to galway at the hostel after midnight. Batman turns in for the night and me and Robin decide to check out the pub across the street.

i go to my room right quick to drop off my stuff because our rooms weren't ready when we checked in earlier and some boston guys that i met at the dublin hostel were my roomies!!! HEY LSU they say...of course i was sporting my thick LSU hoodie...haha...pretty funny...its amazing the people who seem to know LSU from all around the world. oh well on the cliffs of moher i met some folks from new orleans...

anyway, me and robin hung out at the pub listening to 2 musicians play and then we headed back to our rooms...i crashed with my suitcase and my back pack on my bed...woke up this morning with the boston guys laughing at my because they couldn't believe i slept on that bunk with my luggage...and i told them, uh yous guys, i AM little peeps...haha..they said yah i guess your right!

so i woke up this morning waited for them to leave, they were headed for the cliffs took my shower and waited for batman and robin...wanted to tell them bye before they headed back to dublin for their little marathon today.

************************* update88***********************

just talked to mom and this wasn't published like it was supposed to be

so me and robin had lunch...man my first irish traditional lunch...it wasawesome
homeaded veggie soup and some good ole shephards pie!

batman was primpin forever so he didn't eat, and off they went...hugged them bye we exchanged emails and robin said if i need anything for the rest of my trip to email him/phone him and they will come to my rescue...really great guys! i don't think it woould have been half the adventure without them...haha..i can't wait to tell all the stories...i mean my stomach hurt and i laughed till i cried with those too...Batman is really something...one story of actually telling mcdonalds how to scramble eggs...and no i am not kidding you...LMAO
so i am sad to see them go but it has been go go go since i have been around them and now it is time to chill by myself! so its all good!

ONE MORE ANNOUNCEMENT...I JUST GOT WORD THAT LENNON MADE HONOR ROLL AND SHE IS HAVING A THING AT SCHOOL ALTHOUGH I AM SAD I CAN'T BE THERE I AM SOOOOO EXCITED SHE MADE THE HONOR ROLL....CONGRATS TO MY LENNON GRACE!!!!!

ok i am going back out on the streets of galway to buy me a claddough ring...and a few other things and to walk along the river and to journal a bit.

love to all and i can't wait to fill in the gaps when i get back...I have so much more to tell


oh and i got some things in ziploc bags that i labeled along the way from the drive along the coast..from castles and what not...

later ya'll!!!!

Advertisement



19th May 2009

Scary!
As much as you vascilated throughout this story, I actually understood it! You sound the same when you write as you do when you talk! I hope eveything else goes smoothly for you. Love you- AA
19th May 2009

Fun Fun Fun
It sounds like you are having a blast! Can't wait to hear the stories. We are all laughing because your descriptions are so vivid that we can just see you going thru all of this. Keep us posted. We love and miss you! Be Safe1
19th May 2009

I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Amy as I am reading your stories I can picture you telling them. I miss you and I am so proud of how well you have adapted in another country by yourself. You are an inspiration to me. Eventhough you had some small stuggles you truly show that happiness is a choice and that no matter what our circumstances are you can have fun and be full of joy!!!!!!!!!! I hope you have even more fun. Jenn
19th May 2009

roads
yeah, riding in a tiny car on the tiny roads in ireland is one of the scariest experiences of my life! i still don't understand how they fit. so glad you got to experience that and on the other side of the road! Also, isn't crossing the street wierd, looking right instead of left.
19th May 2009

We love and miss you!
Girl you are so crazy! We are loving the blog! Can't wait to hear about all of these adventures when you get back. Sounds like you are having a blast! Have fun and be safe "LSU"
19th May 2009

crossing the street
\LOL i still look both ways....hahaha and i almost got ran over today...i still can't get used to it
20th May 2009

Too funny!
Amy, you could write a book!!!! This is so hilarious! I am glad you are enjoying yourself and having this experience of a lifetime. Love you! Melissa
20th May 2009

sounds great!
Sounds like your having a great time! Take lots of pictures. Batman and Robin sound like great guys, glad you found someone to hang out with. Be careful and enjoy!
20th May 2009

Too Funny!
Hey Amy - love the batman and robin stories! Any Bono sightings? What about Bono's gate? Have you gotten there yet? You've got to represent LSU and EATEL on that gate!!! I am sure that is one of your most important missions that is still on your list to be checked off. Be safe and have fun. Your blog is great!
20th May 2009

Bonos gate
well i got to dublin a day late and since i met up with the dynamic duo its been crazy. so i don't think i will get to go to bono's house...however i will be back in dublin on friday...i will have to see. i did take a pic in front of and eircom post with my fiberedge hat

Tot: 0.375s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0421s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb