Do you think they have Lucky Charms here?


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Galway » Galway
May 4th 2006
Published: May 19th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Today Emily and I set out on a pretty last minute adventure to the lovely city of Galway, Ireland. Originally we had not planned to travel to Ireland becasue we just didn't feel that we had the time or the money to make the trek. After hearing over and over how amazing Ireland is and how we have to go check it out while we are in the area we decided to check out flights and found a pretty sweet deal through Ryan Air. Beause niether Emily nor I had much particular interest in any specific city and because we don't really care for the large metropolitan areas we decided to go to Galway instead of Dublin.

After living in Oxford I didn't think towns existed that could be much smaller but after traveling to Galway I realized that I was proven wrong. The cit of Galway is pretty much centered around one long street filled with pubs and some main shops... after that you pretty much just have residential areas, the river, a few churches, and a park. Although the area was really small I think it is exactly what we needed before going back to school and starting the mad rush to finish essays, pack, make up tests, etc. Since we could pretty much see the entirety of Galway within a couple of hours we spent a lot of our time just sitting by the river, napping, and catchin up on Season one of LOST.

I think one of the biggest things we have learned from our travels thus far is that you can never really expect anything or prepare yourself fo anything that is going to happen. While we were in Ireland we met a Spanish girl who lived a little bit outside of the city center who had her family and one of her best friends visiting her for her birthday. After hanging out for the day and getting to know her a little bit she ended up inviting us over to her place for dinner with her family. I must say that it was pretty interesting to have a full-blown authentic Spanish meal with a very cute and loving Spanish family... all while hanging out in Ireland. Who woulda thought?

On Friday we decided that we might as well take a trip out to Dublin since we had an extra Eurrail pass and we couldn't very well leave Ireland without at least LOOKING at Dublin. Although I was glad I got the opportunity to see the city, walk around, and check out the Guinness factory, after all was said and done I was very glad that we had decided to stay in Galway as opposed to Dublin.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



19th May 2006

Galway - Great Choice
You did a great thing picking Galway. I've done the whole Dublin thing, been around the bottom of Ireland, but I have to say (and many others agree) that Galway is one of the most authentic Irish towns to visit. Dublin is a mini London. Galway really is Ireland! k www.kateonthego.blogspot.com

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0454s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb