Traveling day and arriving in Galway


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Galway » Galway
April 15th 2009
Published: April 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Today was a travel day for the most part, as we made our way sightseeing up the coast to eventually catch a train to Galway. We got up at 8am to pack our bags, clean up the room and have some breakfast. Kevin had texted us to see what time we were leaving so he could say goodbye, as he was out in the quarry working. We looked out the window and could see him driving his “Digger” around, so we texted him that we were leaving. Immediately, the digger claw started waving up and down, like it was, well, waving. It was absolutely hilarious. He then jumped off and came down to the house with Donal to say goodbye. They were great fun, and it was nice to meet some people our own age and have them show us around town and take us out. We definitely plan on keeping in touch.

We got in the car and headed up to County Clare, via the ferry. We were able to take the car on the Ferry though, so after we crossed the bay (think Bay Bridge), we continued driving into the town of Lahinch. Lahinch was a small surf town - the first we’ve seen of surfing here in Ireland. We ate lunch at a pub and booked our B&B for the night, then walked around the small town. Again, every little town, amongst other things, has the same - a church, a post office and a pub.

We kept driving up the coast until we got to the Cliffs of Moher. For 5 miles, these cliffs soar as high as 650 feet above the Atlantic Ocean. It was absolutely freezing and fir the first time on our trip, it was raining. We layered a LOT, looking about 20lbs heavier than we actually were and headed up the stairs to check them out. One interesting yet sad thing to note was that there were a lot of “Good Samaritan” signs along the way up. “Good Samaritan” is equivalent to the suicide hotline in America. According to Derry, Ireland has the highest suicide rate for young men, in the entire world. He wasn’t sure why, and it was very sad.

We took a bus to Galway, which was one hour. We arrived at our B&B and have two lovely hosts - Eddie and Helen. Erica and I walked downtown Galway for a little bit and popped into a pub for dinner and to watch the rest of the professional men’s soccer game on TV. After it was over we strolled around and made our way back. We are both pretty tired and are going to get some sleep and not set the alarm in the morning.

I can’t find my camera cord, so no photos ☹




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0486s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb