Random Bits and Addendums


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Galway » Galway
January 31st 2006
Published: January 31st 2006
Edit Blog Post

On most days, there are huge swans on the river Corrib-ya know, the river that runs right next to my housing, beside which is the path that I walk every day to get to class or elsewhere. Yes, it is badass.

My Corrib Village ID card is a seriously ghetto-laminated piece of paper with my Beloit application picture stuck in, and my name scrawled across in someone else's handwriting. The lamination is already coming apart. Classic.

If you pet a stray dog, it WILL follow you home in the cutest way possible. Wagging and smiling and nuzzling your hand occasionally. I am trying desperately to NOT want to pet dogs.

Also on the river-kayakers, especially on the sunny days. Occasionally with a motorboat alongside coaching through a megaphone. The people are coaching, not the motorboat. And the water couldn't be anything but frigid, and apparently they practice capsizing. wtf? Em, I think your mom is even more of a hoss now.

Chocolate chip cookies are a bit of a novelty item-apparently they're NOT what every little girl learns to bake when she's like five.

Irish logic is nonexistent. I mean it's just not there. We were supposed to meet some guys at a pub last night, they told us to pick the pub, and had somehow in the process failed to realize that we'd been to like, 4 of the 600 pubs in Galway, and that would be affecting our selection, which they laughed at.

I argued politics with a guy for the first time ever while drinking a beer. And then I defended American football to him. I don't even LIKE the NFL. And that is STILL about fifty times more logical than any Irish person I've met so far.

They have these fun hand stamps for free entry to some clubs that they give out in some pubs that only show up under blacklight. Yeah technology.

I've mysteriously started drinking tea every day, like 1 or 2 cups, and it has caffeinne, and it hasn't made me geek out yet. They have these fun "kettles" that every person in Ireland (probably England too) has one of so they can make their tea every half hour of the day (which they do). They're plastic, with a metal coil on the inside, and you pour water in the top and you set it on the base which is plugged into the wall and which has a metal attachmenton it that plugs into the kettle, and you flip the little switch up, and it boils the water in like 2.3 minutes, and it pours out through a mesh thing like a water purifier. This could have something to do with why i started drinking tea. With milk, of all things!

The roads have very little traction, and everyone drives like a freaking lunatic.

Last night the fog rolled in so thick that you felt like you needed glasses even if you were wearing them, because everything was fuzzy until you got about 5 feet away. And your breath just hung in the air in front of you, till you walked through it.

This morning, at 11, it was sunny and probably about 35-38 degrees, all the plants ang grasses and trees were coated in frost, and you could see it all along the river. The past two days before that, the roads and sidewalks have been coated in a layer so thin that you only notice it when you walk and suddenly slide a little, then you look down and see that the road's slightly sparkly, like somebody used a giant one of those girly glitter brushes on it.

They serve beer in movie theaters.

Advertisement



1st February 2006

No Strange Dogs
{; Just limit your petting of strange wagging canines. Although, there is a universal canine sensory conciousness...so if you do the random petting, I could randomly feel it. It is known as caught sensations from ones floating in the universe....having come unloosed from a dog who is lost in some flea scratching or racing after car tires frenzy. It happens. You have to be there....or here. Love and drool. Pepper
1st February 2006

i Have a
O my gosh i have a water boiler just like that thought id show how neardy your lil bro is

Tot: 0.319s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.09s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb