New news!


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Galway » Galway
July 10th 2008
Published: July 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Girls Night OutGirls Night OutGirls Night Out

One of the first nights in Galway listening to traditional Irish music
Hey everyone!

I just had my first week of classes and so far so good, I am learning a great deal about the troubles of Ireland’s long past.
Last Friday we went out to Connemara and County Mayo, and saw a great deal of sheep/cows and the only fjord in Ireland. It was absolutely breath-taking, the mountains and hills everywhere, and of course tons and tons of green!

I still can’t believe how quickly the weather changes here, there really is no point of a weather channel, I swear. One second it is raining, the next it is sunny, then another second it is sunny but misting, all happening within a minute. But in general I think we have been quite lucky with having more sunny weather than rain and have stayed around 65.

Last Friday night the girls in the program and I went out and celebrated the 4th of July and surprisingly enough there were a great deal of Irish out celebrating as well, despite many had no idea why, ha ha.

I definitely miss the great food from home, the food here is quite bland and a hit or miss. It is impossible to
Abbey CastleAbbey CastleAbbey Castle

used to be a girl's reform school
find Tabasco available in restaurants, we tried finding a place that had burgers for the 4th because we couldn’t barbeque in our apartment complex, though the meat wasn’t as bad as I had expected but overall everything was bland. The fish and chips I had a couple of weeks ago at this supposedly famous place called McDonal’s, were okay as well I just wish I had some Tabasco to put on it! I’m mainly missing the cultural variety of food available in the States, even to the point where I’m having cravings for Taco Bell.

Monday we went to the poet W.B. Yeats’ home which was a large medieval stone tower that overlooked the countryside, and then to another writer, Lady Gregory’s home which is in Coole Park. It had an incredibly beautiful garden and the estate sat on a sort of National Park/forest with the first conifer trees I’ve seen here so far and also some the biggest ones I’ve ever seen.

Last week I spoke with a man in a heraldry shop about the possible origins of where the Reilly’s and the Cass’s were from, he said there were a lot of Reilly’s in County Cork and he said that possibly the Cass’s could have originally been from the Casey’s which is in the same county and some in County Mayo which is more west.

Next week we are going to the Aran Islands, specifically Inishmoor the largest of the Islands where they still speak Gaelic fluently and have 3 cars for the whole island’s use. Some of us are trying to stay and explore the other islands; specifically the smallest of them where no one really works and all they do is sing and drink all day because the government gives them a grant. They even have a King that comes and greets visitors at the ferry!

Next weekend a few girls and I are attempting to arrange a long weekend trip to Cork, Killarney, the Ring of Kerry and Blarney Castle.
Also I’ve been learning some Gaelic from the locals, but of course, nothing good. : )

Slainte!



Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

FjordFjord
Fjord

This is the only fjord in Ireland in Connemara where there is a salmon weir and docks
ireland 040ireland 040
ireland 040

I've determined I'm going to be the new queen of ireland
ireland 047ireland 047
ireland 047

W.B. Yeat's Castle
ireland 054ireland 054
ireland 054

The top of the castle
ireland 061ireland 061
ireland 061

Lady Gregory's home
ireland 067ireland 067
ireland 067

the entrance to Coole Park
ireland 068ireland 068
ireland 068

a random irish dog that followed us and decided to take a swim
ireland 076ireland 076
ireland 076

HUGE conifer trees
ireland 086ireland 086
ireland 086

Galway Catholic Church
ireland 100ireland 100
ireland 100

Used to be a baptismal fountain but apparently is a flower pot now


14th July 2008

Madi: Glad you are having a great time. I love reading your blogs!! Enjoy every moment!! Love, Aunt Laurie
14th July 2008

Madi, Your photos are beautiful! Esp. #67; Entrance to Coole Park. xo Aunt Karima
21st July 2008

Hi from WA state
Hi there Madi, Just received your blog from your dad. I am sooo excited you are doing so well and enjoying your classes. I love your photo's. Have a great time, you are making the memories you will cherish when you are old like me :) I will keep checking the blog. Aunt Mae Gullo/Zanghi (Uncle Sam too :)
26th July 2008

Just Thinking of You!
Judging by the way your dressed, it looks a bit damp, and cold, but, the pictures look great, and so do you! Hope your doing good, and, of course, becareful of Irish Boys! There all nuts over there! Did you know, that the expression, (Kick the Bucket) originateted in Ireland, Oh yea, it's true, those people are so depressed, that they actually, would go out to the barn, tie a loose around there neck, stand on a bucket, and with one foot, kick the bucket out, from the other foot!!! Have a good time, and stay away from the barns!!! Love you!!! Uncle John Hope you find some food, that has some flavor! (good Luck)
29th July 2008

Hello!
Hey madi...we are just gettting your blogs for the 1st time...It was great to catch up with your trip. We have missed you!!! I love hearing about your awesome adventures..I second Aunt Mae with your creating memories you have forever! Love You!! Hopefully your schedule will allow you to come up to L-ville for Grandma's birthday bash on Aug 17th and we can hear about your trip LIVE! Safe travels my worldy neice!! Aunt Amy

Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0228s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb