Galway and pub hopping in Clifden


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Galway » Clifden
October 7th 2001
Published: September 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Continuing on our Sunday tour, we got to spend a couple hours in the city of GALWAY after learning about the LYNCH STONE and how Mayor James Lynch Fitzstephen hanged his son for murder. I guess you could say he was partial! Galway was a clean, pretty city and it was afternoon, so the streets were busy with a diverse crowd even though we had some more rain. There was a street performer who didn't move for the longest time. I almost thought he was a statue. We mostly window shopped.
CONNEMARA MARBLE FACTORY, our last stop had some pretty jewelry with different colored stones. On our way to Clifden, we passed the famous BRIDGE where a scene from "the Quiet Man" was filmed.
We stayed overnight in the fishing town of CLIFDEN at the STATION HOUSE. There was a museum across the hotel but we didn't see it. We were interested in what was on television because the War had started.
We did go out on the town in Clifden to a couple bars. The pubs were close so we just walked. One was long and narrow and the bar was to the right. The 2nd one was down in
Lynch StoneLynch StoneLynch Stone

Mayor had his son hanged for murder
a basement with mostly teenagers playing pool and couches to sit on. I don't remember staying here very long but I do remember walking home and acting goofy, taking pictures of Leanne and Suzi. A fun night nonetheless.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

"Quiet Man" bridge"Quiet Man" bridge
"Quiet Man" bridge

a scene from the movie was filmed here
Leanne and ILeanne and I
Leanne and I

posing in front of our hotel


Tot: 0.155s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 51; dbt: 0.09s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb