FOWEY TO DUBLIN


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Dublin
August 25th 2017
Published: August 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Well, since I last talked to you a lot has happened. We were on our way to Cork. However at dinner that night, Dennis' knee suffered a major setback. A "loose body" either got in the joint space or a part of the meniscus moved into the joint space. Even so, the net result was that he could not walk or stand without severe pain. He had to leave the dining room in a wheel chair. The pain was severe all night and the next morning we saw the ships Doctor who agreed with our diagnoses. By early in the day the pain suddenly went away but the doctor said he should try to rest the leg as much as possible over the next several days. So we have been confined to quarters, sleeping and eating. We saw Cork from our balcony and are viewing Dublin similarly. fortunately we have been to both places multiple times, so we don't feel disadvantaged. We go to Belfast tomorrow, where we have tickets to the Titanic Museum. The ship arranged a wheelchair for Dennis there, so we will take a taxi to the museum and I will push Dennis through the museum. Hopefully his leg keeps improving because we are supposed to go to the Ice Caves in Iceland.

The weather has been quite cool with highs about 60 but with strong wind. The seas though have been calm. It is always overcast. The sun only peeks out for about 10 minutes a day. There is intermittent showers, really just sprinkles.

We learned that the port area was called Cobh and that Cork was further inland. Cobh was formerly called Queenstown and this was the last stop of the Titanic before she sank. Cobh was a beautiful port with high stone wall shoring up the cliff. On the top of the cliff were beautiful houses. A train ran at the base of the cliff. The port of Dublin i more industrial and not so scenic. The food on the ship has been excellent and the service just great. Dennis and i decided to celebrate our anniversary yesterday since we had forgotten to celebrate on the actual date. When we returned from dinner, our butler and room steward had a beautiful tray with candle lights and red roses and a chocolate mousse cake on a plate that said Happy Anniversary and on our bed was a nautical rope in a heart shape with red rose petals in it and a card from Nelson and Lailit. The staff is just very thoughtful and very competent.

We have two sea days between Dublin and Iceland. I hope Dennis is totally recovered by that time.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



25th August 2017

The Titanic Museum should be very interesting. Hope you all can make it there. The weather sounds exactly like I would expect. Of course, Hawaii is sunny and warm! :)

Tot: 0.276s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0721s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb