Top of the mornin to ye!


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Dublin
September 2nd 2006
Published: September 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Tokyo-Dublin

Flew from Brissie to Tokyo on Tuesday morning, the 22nd. Excited and eager to just be finally getting on the plane after so many months (years) of planning and dreaming....

Arrived that night and made the 50min train journey into Tokyo for a mere A$70 for both of us! Well worth it though, Tokyo is amazing. So cool. Wide sidewalks, clean streets, expensive cars, bright lights, designer shopping all in an Europe meets East feel.

After a solid sleep we flew out the next morning for the 11hr and something flight to London. It was made easier through whiskey and coke, and our own tv screen. Kate (fellow Aussie in London) met us at the airport and helped us lug all our bags and boxes to her place for the night. Noticed the police with sub machine guns at Heathrow, the higher security atmosphere was already apparent. Kate and Eirik took us to a quaint English pub for dinner and back home exhausted, for a another well-deserved sleep on the lounge room floor of a 3 story townhouse shared by like 10 people.

The next morning off we went again to the airport to fly out to Dublin. The 1hr long flight was nothing to us now, and we arrived in the Emerald Isle that afternoon. After checking into our hostel we set of walking around the whole city, and basically didnt stop for another 4 days, till we went back to London on Sunday night. Radiohead concert was the obvious highlight (and reason we went to Dublin so soon in our journey), out in an open-air huge green park. Great. We didnt take our camera as we thought the band is pretty strict about that, turns out they weren't this time - everyone had a camera. The Guiness warehouse was a must do, ending with a great view of the city from the top as we sipped our complementary Guiness.

We did the touristy thing and went to all the galleries and museums. Of special mention was the National Museum of Ireland at which we saw heaps of really ancient history. Including the oldest we've ever seen - over 6000 year old Ancient Egyptian artefacts, including mummies - the earliest was from 4000BC! There was also some viking and medieval stuff too which was interesting. We also visited Francis Bacon's studio, which was taken painstakingly from his home in London and set up again in Dublin exactly as he had left it when he died.

After finding the old Stags Head pub in the Temple Bar district, we sat inside and soaked up the history of the pub where Irish writer and poet James Joyce frequented.

Dublin is a sweet old and new town, both British and European. And not as expensive as they say. Pubs on every corner and funny lyrical locals.

Here are some photos of our jouney so far, enjoy.

Fiona and Steve.




Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

DublinDublin
Dublin

Fastest growing city in the world...dublin everyday.
Christchurch cathedral DublinChristchurch cathedral Dublin
Christchurch cathedral Dublin

headstone in the crypt
Che GuevaraChe Guevara
Che Guevara

he is alive and well! And has given up his revolutionary aims to entertain rich european tourists for small change.
Che GuevaraChe Guevara
Che Guevara

Viva la Revolucion – Hasta la Victoria Siempre!


Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0425s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb