Don't get intimidated by the wind (day two)


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Dublin » Howth
April 3rd 2013
Published: April 18th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Snow WhiteSnow WhiteSnow White

Just next to the station, street art is everywhere.
03/04/2013 - Howth

Our roommates at the hostel turned out to be rather noisy and generally unkind (seriously, kids, if you go back to the dorms at 1 a.m., you're quiet as mice and definitely don't spend another hour discussing this nice guy at the bar, what a cliché!), we got out of the room as soon as we could (as we couldn't sleep anyway), feeling a bit tired. I guess that's why it took us ages to find the entrance to the Connolly Station. Well, we didn't in fact find it - we got there through the car park from the back. Serves us right for not taking the tram.

Our goal for today was Howth - the suburb of Dublin. The DART train goes there twice per hour, the journey takes about 25 minutes (€5.25 for the return ticket). DART station in Howth is located close to the sea. There are also buses connecting Dublin and the Summit - for those who don't like going up the hills.

My, what a windy day it was! It was sunny and quite warm - when you found a shelter from the wind. When we were exposed .. well,
SunSunSun

It was so sunny, it's unbelievable.
I must admit I had a moment of doubt how exactly are we going to survive the walk. Fortunately, everything was better than I expected. The wind was a bother only near the pier, when we went to get the map of the area. It's not necessarily needed, there are signs pointing towards different parts of the village, but I just collect those little memorabilia from the places we go to (so for people like me - the Tourist Office is located at the far end of the West Pier).

The main attraction in Howth are the cliffs. There are a few designed routes that start at the DART station and lead, over the cliffs, to the Summit and to the other side of the peninsula. As I said, although the harbor area was rather windy, we had no problems at the cliffs and the walk was extremely pleasant. I really suggest you to do the Bog of Frogs Loop (purple one, the longest).

There are also a few interesting things to see in the village itself - for me, obviously, the most interesting was the ruined abbey and the cemetery, there's also a castle where, supposedly, the
AbbeyAbbeyAbbey

One of the graves in the cemetery next to the ruined abbey.
cookery lessons take place.

I really enjoyed our short trip there and I'm glad that we got there rather early in the spring - this place must be overrun with locals during the season, it's so pretty. (Oh, and the shark...!)


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

WindowWindow
Window

Someone's yard.
CliffsCliffs
Cliffs

Nature.
SharkShark
Shark

Well, it's a shark.


Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0482s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb