Dublin Day 2


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Dublin » Dublin
June 11th 2011
Published: June 20th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Up early as one does flying west to east, it was good to get going early to see the Book of Kells and Trinity College when they opened at 9:00am. Good idea, thanks to Rick Steves. Others we spoke with encountered long lines after the tour groups arrived. We then got onto the Green Hop on Hop Off bus and did the whole route. It helped to decide what we wanted to go back and see. After a bit of brunch at Bedlam, we decided to go to Christs Church, which on Saturday closes at 400pm. So we hoofed it over to St. Patrick's Church, which you would think that in Dublin was Catholic, but its not.! Many famous Irish aristocrats are buried there, the only of such I knew was George Bernard Shaw. Gorgeous gothic cathedral, reminded me a bit of St. Joe's, but a lot larger. Afterward we headed to the Guineas Storehouse for the somewhat expensive self guided multimedia tour 15 euros. Of course that included a pint of Guiness at the amazing Gravity Bar at the top, with a 360 degree view of the city. That itself is worth the price of admission. .This evening we went to dinner and stories at the Brazen Head, Dublin's oldest pub. The dinner requires advance reservations, and is in and upper meeting room. It included 3 courses of Irish foods, folklore, music, and storytelling, all for 44 euros per person. It was a good introduction to Irish culture to begin the trip.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0424s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb