The blog henceforth will be very eloquent as we kiss the Blarney Stone


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Dublin » Dublin
June 12th 2009
Published: June 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Cork to Dublin via Blarney Castle


Friday 12th June
The Blog will henceforth be very eloquent as we kiss the Blarney Stone
There was still a considerable distance to travel from Dublin from Cork but we couln’t come all this way and not visit Blarney Castle.
Although we didn’t bring the microwave in from the car last night we did bring the toaster in so breakfast was still a pretty hearty affair with all the toast we wanted to eat.
Gretchens cold has now almost gone although I have said she will need to visit a doctor if the cough is not cleared up by Monday when we will be in Settle.As for me,there is a hint that I might develop something but am still trying desparately trying to keep it at bay with large intakes of vitamin C.
The village of Blarney and also the castle didn’t look that far away from where we were staying on the outskirts of Cork but the road we took seemed to wander to such a degree that we wondered if we were on the right track.Then the village came into view and so did the entrance to the castle.
There has been a castle structure here since 1480 and
Kissing the Blarney StoneKissing the Blarney StoneKissing the Blarney Stone

Such eloquence we shall now use in this blog!!!!The exercise to do the deed leaft us both thinking we were going to end up slipping through the gap head first!!!
the original has been added to several times over the early years.The structure is very much like the abbeys we visited earlier in the week although the tower where the Blarney Stone is has been well maintained.Without it the purpose of visiting would be lessened.
The grounds leading up to the castle made a very pleasant morning stroll and we joined the crowds who had stepped down from 3 buses in the car park.
Again the day was fine and sunny and the temperature was even a few degrees higher than yesterday with a light southerly blowing.
The climb up to the paraphet where the Blarney Stone is located is up about 100 odd narrow and winding steps.Holding onto the rope as you climbed which had been added to the stairwell made one feel a little more secure as you headed upwards.
The queue at the top numbered about 20 and we watched as those before us either did their thing in kissing the stone or opted not to do so.
The Lonely Planet suggests that local’s urinate on the stone making it undesirable to kiss it but we thought that was just someones story to put you off.
The
Wishing steps,Blarney CastleWishing steps,Blarney CastleWishing steps,Blarney Castle

More mythical mystery at Blarney Castle
process to kiss it is not an easy one !!! First you have to lay on your back on a rubber mat that was over an uneven stone and then you have to pull yourself backwards on your back so that your head hangs out in space(about 100feet to the ground!!).All the while you are hanging onto a couple of iron bars and also aided by a staff member who guides you as you get yourself into a position where you can raise yourself up to kiss the underside of one of the stones in the wall....the so called Blarney Stone.!! All this to gain eloquence!!!!
Gretchen was first to get herself into position and I captured the moment on video while when it was my turn she took a photo.There is also an official photographer there taking a photo of each person doing the act and these are ready for you to purchase after you return to the bottom of the tower.We didn’t both with the official photos at €10each as the video and the photo Gretchen took told the story of our turns to Kiss the Blarney Stone !!
After Blarney we took the N25 which basically followed the coast towards Waterford although as we travelled we changed our plans for the afternoon and decided we should also visit Kilkenny Castle in the town of the same name which meant we took a diversion inland at Dungarven.
It was 3pm by the time we reached Kilkenny so gave ourselves a couple of hours to visit the castle as there was still another couple of hours to Dublin after that.
With roadworks going on around the castle and the town very busy with tourists we had to park some distance but after being in the car for a couple of hours we needed the walk.
The castle was built back in the 1200’s but was furnished for the 1800’s and was a bit disappointing although one shouldn’t have expected anything else as it had been occupied up until around 1920.The rooms open to the public were all very interesting with some original wallpapers that would have been over 130 years old and very well preserved.One of the wallpapers had a hand painted design and you can only marvel at the time and effort that must have gone into this to produce such a wallpaper.
The grounds of the castle were expansive with a lovely rolling lawn leading away from the castle entry.There were two wedding parties there mixing with the tourists having their photos taken after being married.
From Kilkenny we joined the N7 for the run into Dublin for our overnight stay at rooms at the Dublin University let out when the University year came to an end.
We had only very brief instructions on how to get there other than it was situated between the city and the airport.We got ourselves to the airport and headed towards the city and after a little tiki tour found the University accommodation reception.
It had been a very long day as it was now after 8pm so we decided not to cook our own dinner on our last night in Ireland but instead crossed the road to the local pub for fish and chips and sausages and mash and our last real Guinness before we leave Ireland tomorrow morning.
With an early start the next morning we didn’t delay hitting the sack and we were ready for it.


Advertisement



18th June 2009

Good to see you brave hanging over the edge of the castle to kiss the stone....it was pouring with rain the day we were there and we didn't fancy lying on the slippery stones hanging out over the edge! This cough that Mum has....she doesn't make a squealing sound upon coughing does she? Similar to a pig?!? ;-)

Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0748s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb