Hostel Experience in General


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Dublin » Dublin
September 19th 2008
Published: October 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Dublin HostelDublin HostelDublin Hostel

Church Dining Room


(by Lettie) In our first ever hostel experience we discovered what we appreciated, and what we would prefer to avoid. First and foremost was the joy of other exuberant travelers. We did not in our time there of 3 days and 2 nights see a bit of conflict despite the large number of youth and a few well aged travelers such as ourselves ( 40 to 50ish). I met a woman from Spain by the name of Rose who wanted to practice her English skills with me and invited me to learn a little Spanish. I was not good at this but she relished the opportunities and we enjoyed our time together managing to understand each other quite a bit considering all. Then there was the 50 friendly German youths who were everywhere - and so full of life!

The inevitable back pack, blue jeans, and usually a head scarf, made them obvious as youth travelers and I was reminded of how open, positive and freshfaced young people can be. In a very short time we heard German, Polish, English, Spanish, and more locally, English and British languages/accents. It's a blend of unique attitudes, experiences, and cultural
Dublin HostelDublin HostelDublin Hostel

Spanish lessons from Rose
variety that I will never forget.

Although we really enjoyed all of this and more we did not appreciate 3 of our other bunkbed mates. (There were 4 bunkbeds/8 bunks in our room). Two snored very loudly and the one near me got up at an ungodly hour to beat the mass exodus to the showers that occurs later and, subsequently, the shocking cold water shower that awaits the latecomer. The timid women below her had during the night got up and would shake the snoring women above then leap under the blankets so as not to be identified. This made it appear as if I was the source of rude awakening. In the end though I would reach over and hit her with my pillow myself - just hard enough to rouse her which actually took a bit of effort. We were all becoming violent by morning...

We also experienced some of that exuberant youthful energy between 1 and 3AM when they carried on loud and joyful conversations in the courtyard below. We got very little sleep but we were having fun and our first taste of Ireland!

Advertisement



18th October 2008

Get some ear plugs
Ladies Duane and I are reading of your tails and remembered our trip to Euro land. I hope some ear plugs could help with the sleeping arrangements. We are major sleep talkers here. Have fun it sounds great. Vern and Duane.

Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0276s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb