Slainte, Mates!


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Dublin » Dublin
June 3rd 2007
Published: June 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

we are having a blast on our trip so far! the four of us just got into london, england this morning, but we were very sad to leave dublin.

the drama of dublin came with rachel's luggage. continental airlines misplaced her luggage, and anne (the mother of the family that we stayed with) spent literally hours on the phone trying to find her backpack. other than that, we've had a wonderful time. our first two days there were sunny! we were very pleased.

the first night, we celebrated stephie j's birthday at a pub with sinead, the murphys' 23-year-old daughter. we tried real irish beer that wasn't guinness, and afterwards we walked up the street to grab a bite to eat. anne served as our taxi driver that night and for the rest of our time in dublin.

the following day, anne showed us around dublin. we went to the guinness storehouse and learned about the ingredients and brewing process along with sampling some of the product. the gravity bar at the top of the storehouse gave us a 360-degree view of the city of dublin. from there, we walked around town past a ton of beautiful churches. we walked around the grounds of st. patrick's cathedral and took some pictures. i (meggen) have probably taken 300 pictures so far. get excited! 😊 after the cathedral, anne walked us through central dublin where many well-known pubs and shops can be found. we ate a large lunch/dinner at a boxty house in the temple bar district. boxty is a potato pancake wrapped around a meat and sauce filling. we all stuffed ourselves and were very happy. later we found out that boxty isn't so traditional...many of the people we asked didn't know what boxty was. that night, we moved from the murphys' house to their son kevin's apartment in the city. we went out with him and his friends and had a lot of fun.

our final day in dublin, we walked through town from the apartment to trinity college to see the campus. on the other side of the college is a large walking/shopping street that we walked down. we ate lunch in a cafe and did some souvenir shopping. stephie j and i (meggen) rode with anne and sinead into the countryside for a short while. we both felt slightly motion-sick after the drive up the hills, so our time at the overlook was short. also, it was cold up there. we survived the ride down the mountain and returned to the murphys' house to pick up rachel's newly-delivered bag! we were all very excited that her backpack made it to her safely. that night, we visited a pub with the murphys and the friends and roommates of kevin, their son. we said some goodbyes and walked back in the rain to the apartment. our flight out was at 6:25 am, so we had to leave the apartment at about 4:00 am. anne drove us to the airport...because she's the nicest woman ever...then we said goodbye to her and to dublin.

the irish were very nice people. they're a laid-back people, and they enjoy life. they care about their history, and they are very intelligent about the world around them. i really enjoyed getting to know the guys that we stayed with and their friends. they insisted on treating us every chance that they got because we're spending a lot of money elsewhere. they were complete gentlemen. they travel regularly and had very interesting life experiences. we all left dublin feeling like we had made three new friends...even though we had only spent one and a half days with them. slainte, mates...we'll be back!

Advertisement



3rd June 2007

cheers...
Just wanted to say that, being Irish myself, that was a lovely entry you wrote about Dublin and it was really nice what you said about the irish people. Im delighted you all had a good time here. (I didnt know what boxty was either until i read that though!)
3rd June 2007

Great Synopsis! : )
Great synopsis of your visit to Dublin! It makes me feel as though I was there, too! Thanks for letting us in on your travels through your delightful blog accounts so that we can "see" Europe along with you!
5th June 2007

Small Miracles
So happy to hear that a missing backpack didn't put a blemish on the Irish countryside and sightseeing. Special thanks and regards to Anne and her diligence as well as her hospitality! Ireland should be proud to have such fine people as you and your family. I look forward to looking at the photographs, I'm sure they will be as colorful as the descriptions given by Meggen! Cheers
5th June 2007

savage biscuits!
Girls, we're very happy to hear you will be back. Funny how short a time we all hung out and yet we got to know you all as well as we did. Good times! The apartment has been a lonely place since you all headed on. We want to see all the pictures now, seeing as the only camera we got worth speaking of Karls phone!! I got your emails now, so keep in touch. Word of advice, be careful in Paris. As romantic and beautiful a reputation it has for being a must-see city of Europe, its also got just a big a reputation for crime, muggings being a serious problem. So take the obvious precautions. Right, look forward to hearing more of your stories. Ones not including us lads here. And you are right! We do slightly rock, dont we? Hahaha. just kidding. We all miss you lady babies! Kev x
5th June 2007

Best of Luck
Hey there, was great to meet you guys and the apartment feels empty without ye! Hope ye have a wonderful onward journey and that ye come back our way soon! Take care!! Karl
9th June 2007

Did you look up the McCulloughs and the Kennedys?
We are so glad to hear you are all having a wonderful time! We look forward to hearing all about it and seeing all the pictures when you get home! Love, Grandma

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0385s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb