Dublin (day 2) - Trip Day 9


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Dublin » Dublin
March 22nd 2007
Published: March 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Tammy here-
We're currently back in the car on our way back to Dublin. None of us can remember the name of the castle where they took the cover shot for the Unforgettable Fire so we'll be skipping that side trip and heading back into town.


Steve here-
We make one stop on the way, at Tyrrells Pass Castle Restaurant. Very good food, and also cool that we are eating in a building that used to be a castle...at least we think it used to be a castle.

We get to Dublin safe and sound, check into the hotel and try to return the car to rental agency. Turns out that when I talked to the customer service person at Europcar on the phone earlier in the day and she told me that they closed at 6:30 pm, she really meant 5:30. And although we were scheduled to return the car at 5:30, they decided to close at 5pm. Odd. In the USA I would have called someone to complain and demanded some kind of compensation. However, in Ireland we have become accustomed to such things, so we roll with it and will return the car in the morning.

I get into the room and find that we don't have Internet access again, so this blog will probably reach all of you late. The apartment is fine, I suppose, and we watch Scrubs and The Simpsons before heading out.

We eat dinner at Acapulco Mexican restaurant. We pay €32 (nearly $45) for a pitcher of margaritas. When the pitcher arrives, we think it must be some sort of joke. It probably holds the equivalent of two margaritas back home...and at over $20 each, these would be some pricey margaritas. They also taste a bit off, but they definitely contain lots of tequila, so we don't complain. The food, while also a bit off, is quite good.

We lose Tammy. She has developed the plague, and is coughing and has a sore throat. She goes back to the hotel to sleep. The rest of us head out to search for a bar to spend our evening, and we wander the streets until ending up back in the Temple Bar area. We try out a few places before deciding upon the Porter House to see Woodsey play again. A number of beers and a few Jameson shots later, we chat up two women from Liverpool and take our discussion onto the sidewalk after closing time. Ed and one of the women end up debating politics. We were going to avoid politics and religion as subject matter with others, but she starts the line of questioning. Ed defends George Bush and the war in Iraq (I know, I can't believe it either). Who knew Ed was so conservative? We usually debate such things as Zeppelin versus The Beatles, so his politics come of something of a surprise to me. Although knowing Zappa, he would have just as easily chosen the other side of the debate with someone else. He loves the debate! Agreeing to disagree, we hug it out and part ways amiably with the women of Liverpool and head back so sleep.



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Odonoghues in DublinOdonoghues in Dublin
Odonoghues in Dublin

This is where Jimmy the Tie worked.
Octagon BarOctagon Bar
Octagon Bar

Found ONE bad picture.
A pitcher of margaritas in dublinA pitcher of margaritas in dublin
A pitcher of margaritas in dublin

Notice the size of pitcher in proportion to the salt shaker.
Queen of TartsQueen of Tarts
Queen of Tarts

Excellent breakfast spot


9th June 2007

A HEART IN A BOX!!!!!!
no comments on an actual heart IN A BOX!? REALLY I'm disappointed,sad and a little concerned about my own fascination with this

Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.026s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0912s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb