Galway (day 3) - Trip Day 8


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Galway » Galway
March 21st 2007
Published: March 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Tammy here:
We spent the day getting on tour bus to see the Burren and Cliffs of Moher (better known to us as the Cliffs of Insanity from the Princess Bride movie). It was fraiken cold. Turns out the Burren are a lot of rocks and the Cliffs are cliffs. We did go inside the very cool Aillwee Cave where the guide had us turn off all our cameras and cell phones and then shut off the lights so where in pitch darkness. Totally no lights. He left the lights off just long enough so it starts to get uncomfortable like he might have left us there. We also saw a cool ancient burial ground that looked like a mini Stonehenge.

One of the best things on this trip has been watching Jackie's self-proclaimed narcolepsy kick in. Just like a baby, anytime she gets in a car (or tour bus as seen yesterday), she passes out. Dead asleep. Every county we drive through has these signs saying how many people have died driving on the roads. It took a few days before she was ever awake to see one and she pointed it out to all of us. Seriously, when you see her ask how she liked the Ireland countryside. If she has any answer besides I didn't see much of it, she's lying!

Tonight went to the best of all of the Waterboys shows. Galway does not have a “proper” concert venue (as Mike Scott put it) so the show was general admission in a ballroom at a Radisson Hotel. It looked like we where going to the prom. We got there early and got seats in the second row right in front of Steve (the electric fiddle player). A few songs in, a Galwaian (I made that word up, they don't really call themselves that so don't go spouting it to sound cool) walked up to the stage and started ranting about everyone acting middle aged. That was the cue. A bunch of us bum rushed the stage and spent the rest of the show singing and dancing “in the pit”. Of the three shows, it was the first one where I saw Mike smile.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Burren Trip Burren Trip
Burren Trip

Aiwee Cave
We would recommend this bar...We would recommend this bar...
We would recommend this bar...

if we could remember the name.


Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0411s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb