Frenchport to Killybegs


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Donegal
July 6th 2011
Published: July 6th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Departed Frenchport at 1900 and arrive next morning in Killybegs at 0700. This was the first night sail. The was an anti-cyclone 200 miles west and the weather was very mixed with four seperate forecast for four different parts of the coast. There were gales in Munster. F6 in the Irish Sea. But Donegal Bay was promised good for Tuesday night Wednesday morning so we decided to go for that. Its 63 miles and the longest leg so far. We talked about our options over breakfast in the hotel and John realised that he was under time pressure and that landing in Killybegs early Wednesday would be very awkward for him so he decided to head back to Cork. We had only spent three or four days togethe but I really enjoyed his company and his sense of humour (even if he is an Aston Villa fan.......hey! nobodys perfect!)
So John hit the road and got to Cork about 2130 and Sally and I got some supplies (chocolate) before getting a cab back to the boat. It was blowing a good F6 SE and with this at our back we took the dinghy out to FR. We spent the day getting ready for our first night passage and hoping the the forecast was correct and the the winds would ease in the evening. There were still strong gusts and white water. But it did ease and at 1900 we motored (sorry M) out of Frenchport with two reefs in the main. Once we passed Eagle Island and our scheduled turn to starboard for a run across Donegal Bay we took the reefs out and we zipped along at about six knots. We had good tide, good winds and no rain all night long. It was still quiet bright at 2400 and again at 0415. It was really only fully dark between 0100 and 0300 (Sallys' watch) On a beautiful calm sunny morning we dropped anchor in Killybegs near some supertrawlers, had tea and slept.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.293s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.101s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb