Kisses and seaweed


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Cork » Cork
August 27th 2012
Published: September 1st 2012
Edit Blog Post

Our trip to Ireland didn’t really turn out as planned. I managed to pick up a rather nasty seafood related bug on day two of the four day long weekend. It was rather scary as it led to numbness and gripping pains, and given it struck Sunday and nothing was open we ended up taking a quick trip to the Bantry hospital to ensure it was nothing more sinister.

However let me start from the beginning. We arrived in at Cork around noon on Friday to some typical Irish weather, somewhat like London summer... driving rain. The traffic for some reason in and around Cork was terrible. Given the rain meant the walking self tour of Cork was a non-starter so we headed to Blarney Castle. There was a lovely grounds and the Castle itself is very tall. I as brave enough to go for an ‘air-kiss’, after some screaming American’s. I was next to launched over the edge backwards to plant a big one on the Stone. So now I should have the gift of the gab, don’t feel much change, but we shall see. After a wee rest back at the hotel the rain cleared so we took a wander around the City and of course ended up in a pub. Good fun to ensure a few beverages and watch the locals get absolutely toasted, and then it was on to another pub for dinner. The following morning we headed for Blackwater Valley to follow the River of the same name. To be honest it wasn’t that interesting but when we did see the river and tree lined roads were pretty. The dramatic Lismore Castle was the highlight, oh and we drove past Michael Flatley’s, of River Dance fame, historical house. In the end we decided to zip straight down to the coast to Ardmore and our spa Hotel – Cliff House. The place was wonderful perched on the cliff, sensational views across the bay. We took a short stroll around the point and passed a ruin before scampering back as the rain started up again. Late afternoon we took a outdoor seaweed bath before an amazing massage with an amazing view. That evening over a Michelin star meal I managed to pick-up the bug. It was all rather amusing as for some reason the service was pretty rubbish; they didn’t actually take our drinks or food order for 45mins after being seated. Mind you that didn’t really impact the evening. The food once it did arrive was really good, the high point being the pistachio soufflé.

On Sunday we drove down the Lee Valley, but I don’t recall too much. Scott assures me it was rather pretty. That evening we stayed at a large country estate where there was a crater art installation within the sprawling property. On the way back to Cork we stopped off at Bronze Age Dromberg Stone Circles, and that is more of a grimace than a smile from me in that photo. Luckily I managed to get on the plane without anyone spotting I was ill, but on arrival home we found our back cupboard soaking wet from the downpour in London on the Saturday. So in summary, pretty area but not a lot to see, good place to get away and do nothing as long as you don’t have seafood poisoning.
PHOTOS

Advertisement



Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0817s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb