Cobn/Cork


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Cork » Cobh
October 1st 2022
Published: October 1st 2022
Edit Blog Post

1st October

After the wet weather yesterday it was lovely to see the sunshine this morning as we made the journey from Belfast to Cobn. Another unexpected port of call as we had to cancel the Isle of Man.

We arrived around mid day, the shore excursion team had put on a panoramic tour to Cork, at various times and we were able to join the first tour out at 12.30. No charge for the tour.

As we left the port I remembered that heygo guide Dave Kavanagh had visited Cobn so it all looked quite familiar.

It was about a 30 minute drive to Cork, a busy city on a Saturday with plenty of people out and about. We passed several interesting buildings, all well explained by our guide. We were dropped off not far from the English Market - The Market was created in 1788 by the Protestant or “English” corporation that controlled the city at that time. One of the oldest and the best covered market in Europe, it has survived famine, flood, war, fires, and multiple recessions to remain a strong part of Cork’s retail environment.

We had just under an hour
free time there.

Whilst I was at the market David enjoyed a coffee in the Imperial Hotel, steeped in over 200 years of history and tradition including Cork's very first hotel, The Imperial Hotel is regarded by many as the 'Grande Dame' of Cork.

Had Cobn been part of our original itinerary a lot more tours would have been on offer but with less than a days notice we at least saw something of the area. Our guide was excellent as have all the local guides on this voyage.

Back to the port and I set off to visit the town & retrace David Kavanagh’s steps.

First stop the Heritage Centre, Cobn has such a maritime history, the centre was very extremely well presented with images, interactive screens and displays.

The “Queenstown Story” is the story of Irish Emigration, from the 1600’s when transportation to the British overseas colonies was commonplace, from Virginia and New England to Barbados, Jamacia.

Also included were the famine, the story of coffin ships, the Titanic and the sinking of the Lusitania.

There was a beautiful quilt made by local people with names of some of those that
had perished when Titanic sank.

The Exhibition is situated within the beautifully restored Victorian railway.

Annie Moore and her two brothers who left Cobh for America was the first emigrant ever to be processed at Ellis Island in America. There is the same statue at Ellis Island as the one in Cobn.

The colourful houses and shops were so pretty, so too the harbour side gardens with its flowers and bandstand.

I didn’t venture up to the cathedral but I guess that’s another reason to return to Cobn.

Tomorrow is a day at sea, en route to Portsmouth so fingers crossed we have a sunny day and can enjoy time on the open deck.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement














Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0231s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb