The Burren


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Clare » The Burren
March 26th 2010
Published: April 17th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Friday 26.3.2010 day 163
The Burren
Today was daffodil day in Ireland it is in August in Australia I guess they have to do it when the daffodils are out which is different in different parts of the world. Today we went back to the Burren as we found it so amazing the first time. Last time we went on the coast this time we did the inland parts of it. We also wanted to see some of the Neolithic sites on it as we read on the intenrt that there were lots. We went to the Polinabrone burial tomb. It was excavated in 1986 and the remains of 33 people were discovered dating back to 3,000 BC. There was also one new born baby in there that was buried there 1,000 years later. We also went to the Caherconnell fort the oldest stone fort in Ireland it was built in the 12 centaury. We try to find the Poulawack Cairn but we could not find it. We found a little calf that stepped over the small short walls that surrounded the field it was in. The calf was very scared to be out and did not like getting it photo taken. The Burren is very dramatic and strangely peaceful photographs cannot capture the uniqueness of the environment. It is said that 70% of Ireland’s flora and fauna are found here. The Burren was made in the carboniferous period long before the dinosaurs.



Additional photos below
Photos: 78, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 35; dbt: 0.0446s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb