Cliffs of Moher


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Clare » Cliffs of Moher
January 12th 2015
Published: January 12th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Saturday, January 10, 2015 - My roommates (Carly, Carla, and Sarah), Amanda (a girl from our apartment complex), and I decided to take a day trip to the Cliffs of Moher which is about an hour and a half south of Galway. We booked a tour through Galway Tour Company which picked us up at a bus station that is about 15 minutes from our apartment. Our bus driver/guide's name was John and he was very comical and shared a lot of information about Ireland and the various towns we passed through. Along the way to the cliffs we stopped for pictures at a few castles and light houses, and had lunch in Doolin which is about 10 minutes from the cliffs. It was a gorgeous drive and I felt like I was in a movie because it couldn't be reality. We had lunch at O'Connor's Pub where I tried Cottage Pie for the first time. It was pretty good and there plenty of potatoes served in it and on the side which is common with most meals here. At the Cliffs of Moher I think we redefined what it means to experience blistering winds. While it was very beautiful and scenic, the winds were very strong. At one point we were all crouched over holding on to posts and slabs of stone trying to fight the wind for several minutes in a section of the pathway. The words "use extreme caution" are an understatement and there is a reason that there is a tombstone head that honors all of the people who have died there. If you ask any of us, we each had a thought that we weren't going to make it out of there. We hiked up the left side which had a good view of O'Brien's tower on the other side of the Cliffs and made for some great pictures. We also learned that at the top of the left side you can get hit by flying gravel and that its best to stay lower. After safely making it down we hiked up to O'Brien's tower which was a much milder experience than on the left. Despite our near death experience we had a great time and loved getting to see the beautiful scenery in Ireland!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0509s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb