Grand Tour of Ireland 2012 Day 6: Cliffs of Moher


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Clare » Cliffs of Moher
June 27th 2012
Published: March 25th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Colby's parents are taking us over to the Cliffs of Moher today. Colby's father drives like a maniac through all the twists and turns of the narrow Irish roads. The roads are bordered with hedges or stone walls except that the stone walls are covered by hedges so you never know if you are running into a harmless hedge or a stone wall. Who'd want to take that chance? Still, Colby's father knows what he is doing so I have my trust in him.

We stopped by a rest station and I had me some delicious Irish Breakfast! Irish Breakfast consists of bangers, rashers, eggs, black pudding, white pudding and various combinations of grilled tomatoes or mushrooms, potatoes, or baked beans. It is tasty! Its better than an egg mcmuffin!

Our first tourist stop after breakfast was Dunguaire Castle. The castle is located by a lake and rests on a hill. The castle is fun to explor and walk its floors. The turret on top offers views of the countryside and lake. The walkways on top are narrow tho. One could easily get stuck if you are chunky like me!

We kept heading over to the cliffs afterwards. We passed tiny villages and green hills with its fences of hedges or stones. The fences went up into the hills neatly marking territories and land ownership. Sheep grazed freely on the hills. Parts of what are known as The Burren stuck out here and there. These were rocky areas with plant life growing in between the cracks on the surface.

We finally made it to the Cliffs of Moher and toured the visitor's center first. We read about its ecosystems, flora, and fauna in neat exhibits. Then we headed over to see the cliffs. The cliffs are magnificent! They are high cliffs on the Atlantic side of Ireland. The steep drop off is dangerous but the views are amazing. We were lucky to be able to see the cliffs for about an hour before the sea mist rolled in and hid up the view. My favorite image was that of a small castle on the edge of the cliffs with the jagged rocks and unrelenting sea below.

On the way home Colby's parents took us to a village restaurant which served the BEST seafood chowder I had ever tasted in my life. The soup was warm, creamy, and full of flavor. Then I had a slab of fried fish and accompanying chips. I could get used to fish and chips I think.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0724s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb