Day 6


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland
April 8th 2016
Published: April 13th 2016
Edit Blog Post

<li style="margin: 0px; font-size: 12px; line-height: normal; font-family: Helvetica; color:񮾑">Diamond beach



It was opposite the glacier lagoon. Glaciers had washed up against the black sand beach, so they look like diamonds. It was a sight to behold. Very cold though.



<li style="margin: 0px; font-size: 12px; line-height: normal; font-family: Helvetica; color:񮾑">svinafellsjokull (glacier stop)



We walked a little to see the glacier next to svinafell (mountain). Basically, along the entire road, it was sea to our left, and glaciers or mountains to our right. And we were driving in between greeneries. It was very bizarre and awesome!



<li style="margin: 0px; font-size: 12px; line-height: normal; font-family: Helvetica; color:񮾑">Skaftafell - svartifoss (waterfall) in vatnajokull national park (stay)



Walked to this beautiful waterfall against beehive like rocks. I was so in love with the sight that i kept taking the same picture over and over because i wanted to ingrain that view into my mind forever. We walked a different route back but was diverted so we passed by Sel, a farmhouse. It was very cute, what with the tiny doors and grass thatched roofs.



<li style="margin: 0px; font-size: 12px; line-height: normal; font-family: Helvetica; color:񮾑">glacier walk - glacier guides - falljökull (glacier)


Went on a glacier hike tour. It was fun. We got to wear crampons and use ice picks. The walk to the glacier was amazing as usual. We had to walk through green moss covered land towards a white glacier. We unfortunately had to turn back slightly earlier because the weather was getting worse. It was still such a good experience.

There were moss rocks that could be found on the glaciers. And they act as a microenvironment to these extremophiles known as tardigrade (aka. water bear).

Cooked and camped at the visitor centre. Met these brazilian guys who were travelling and sleeping in a 4x4. Wait for it, there were 6 of them! Thats insane. They basically did what we did but in 6 days. They have been surviving on cup noodles and coffee and hot lemon tea. I offered them our 5kg worth of gas and stove so they could use it to boil some water. After dinner they drove to vik, which is 100+ km away, in hopes of seeing the northern light. I had hoped i might see one this trip, but that hope is dwindling fast. Maybe a next trip then?

Advertisement



Tot: 0.159s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0868s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb