Day 5; Reykjavik and last Northern Lights tour


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland
February 23rd 2016
Published: March 27th 2016
Edit Blog Post

We watched the sunrise by the Sun Voyager, the pink sky reflected on the mountains behind the statue which was enchanting. We visited the Aurora museum which was informative and gave us free tea. The Saga museum let us try on chainmail and had an audio tour about the first settlers on Iceland and how Reykjavík became the capital (SPOILER ALERT: a Viking threw two engraved posts overboard for the gods to decide where they land to build the capital, took them two years to find them in a bay which wasn’t the best location but Reykjavík was built). The national museum covered most subjects and is where JA fell in love with the name “Bjorn”. Long walk back to the hotel but I found a broken sledge by a bridge so went sledding twice to break up the kicking of snow blocks and “are we there yet”.

Third time lucky for the Northern Lights tour; too cloudy so instead they took us on a tour through Stokkseyri, Selfoss and past a prison where the prisoners were allowed out to village dances knowing that they’d always return because it’s too cold and they need somewhere to stay.

BAM


Additional photos below
Photos: 2, Displayed: 2


Advertisement



Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0702s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb