A quick flit around the Emarald Isle


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland
June 4th 2008
Published: June 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hello again

We are currently back in London after our quick trip around Ireland with Stacey. It was great to have her along with us as she tended to research areas more than we might do and, as she was always able to get Ian to do what she wanted, we probably saw more places of interest, particularly ruined castles etc for which she seems to have an affinity

We started with 2 nights in Dublin where we stayed in an hotel that was rather like a rabbit warren - we had to go through 6 doors between the reception area and our room, but at least it was a lovely large room with modern bathroom even if the view was a back alley. Once again we took advantage of the hop on, hop off bus which takes tourists around the cities - this was particularly good in Ireland where the comentaries were so full of that wonderful Irish humour. Naturally we stopped off at the Guiness Storehouse for a tour but we were a bit disappointed in it as they have tried a modern approach to this but it just doesn't work (a local later told us 'It's just shite' and described some gory details of what it used to be like in the brewery) . However we were able to taste the brew and take advantage of the great view of Dubln from the circular bar on top of building. And of course, every tourist place has its shop with everything imaginable with its logo etc and guiness was no exception but the brand seemed to pop up everywhere in Ireland like a national emblem.

Dublin is a very busy city and we were fascinated by the number of people just wandering around areas like O'Connell and Grafton Streets and the Temple Bar area - where we found a group of street performers playing Irish tunes with fiddle, double bass aud a box that was used like a drum, great entertainment.

On the Monday morning we picked up our rental car and headed south to Waterford to the crystal factory there - this was much nore our sort of tour where we could watch the glassblowers in action and chat with the engravers about their work. As for the shop!! All my christmases came at once, especially with Ian's agreement that free shipping for purchases over €200 ($400) was a good deal - must have been a weak moment on his part but there are a few future family heirlooms winging their way homeward as I write this.

The weather that gives Ireland its wonderfully green hue was closing in as we left there to stay a little way along the south coast at Dungarvon, which would be a lovely village in fine weather but by the time we went to find dinner in the waterfront area it was bitterly cold and we were using all our warmest clothing.

Next day was a little better as we headed around Cork to Blarney Castle - quite a climb up the narrow spiral staircase to the top but I made it up to witness Ian and Stacey taking their turn to kiss the Blarney stone. I felt the pose was a little undignified for me i.e. I struggle enough getting up and down without doing it in public!! Anyway Ian says I talk enough without the chance of increasing it.

From Blarney we went on to the Ring of Kerry, right down in the bottom south west corner of Ireland. We were fasinated with the number of houses down this way - what do all these people do with themselves? They can't all be holiday houses. One of the things that struck us about the houses and villages in Ireland is the fresh coat of paint that they all seem to have had with the increased wealth of Ireland but the colours are all quite strong and nobody seems to worry about the house next door beng bright pink next to red, every colour of the rainbow and then some!

After a night in Tralee we contiued on around the Dingle penninsula which was very pretty but we realise how spoilt we are with our scenery in NZ - the Thames coast far exceeds any coast road in this area.

On to the Cliffs of Moher which were quite spectacular. The west side of Ireland around Galway is very rugged in parts and some areas are more rock that grass so I am sure they will never run out of rocks for their lovely rock walls. One bit that amused me was when we saw a real estate sign on a ruined stone cottage no windows or doors - how did they advertise I wonder, "light and airy - a renovators dream" maybe!

On through Sligo where Ian's mother's forebears came from then up to Londerry to stay at a quaint little village, Port Ballantrae, on the north coast. On the next day we clambered around the ruins of Dunluce Castle, went the Giant's Causeway and the rope bridge so it was all quite a tiring day which was probably what caused a slight misjudgement going through a tight little village where we scraped a parked car but then we couldn't find somewhere to stop to access damage to the other car. All frustrating and stressful.

We finally made it to Millisle in County Down where we stayed with my cousin (distant) Anne, for 3 nights. We had some entertainment on the first evening when we went for a walk to the sea to find a van stuck in the tide, already up to the headlights and the locals efforts to extract it from the sea with tractors and rope that broke 3 times - much rushing to find strong chains etc. A big cheer went up when the van slowly moved forward!!

Stacey left us from Belfast after a bus trip around the city to view the murals etc and the evidence of the 'troubles'. Anne came with us and she went places that day that she would never have ventured to if it hadn't been for us. Things have definitely improved with the peace process, but I'm pretty sure that sectarian bigotry is still alive and well in Northern Ireland.

After a good rest day and a catch on washing etc we left drove back to Dublin to fly back to London. The ten nights in Ireland was just great, too much travelling really but that is the way is has to be for us at this time. The Irish are wonderful people and we enjoyed being in their country, both the Republic and in the North.

As we travelled around I thought a bit about the luck of the Irish and would it do anything for us. At Dublin airport just before flying out, we checked our email to find that there was an offer coming on the house!! And so the next 2 days involved emails, texts and phone calls and we were in Paris by the time the sale was finalised at 5am Paris time. A little early in the day to break out the champagne but we celebrated that night with a dinner cruise on the Seine. Tempting though it is to stay and keep on holidaying now we will be back as planned on 14 July as settlement is not until 10 Oct.

It has taken me some time to get this email finished with trying to find reasonably priced internet access but will try and do a Europe part as soon as possible. Will try and insert some photos next time too

Take care and pleased feel free to send us an email to catch up on any happenings over your way

Shirley and Ian (currently in Switzerland and we have seen some outstanding scenery here and in Austria)

Advertisement



Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0181s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb