Iceland


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland
December 24th 2007
Published: January 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

As we stepped off the airplane in Iceland we envisioned mounds of snow cascading the Icelandic landscape. What we encountered was rain and bleakness. The 50km drive to the capital city of Reykjavik (I could not figure out the reasoning as to WHY it was so far away) was through a moon-like terrain, with fields of black lava rock.

Reykjavik reminded me of Scandinavia: colourful houses, stylish boutiques, kiosks selling the cheapest food available - hot dogs, and being able to pay by credit card for absolutely everything.

We rented a car to explore the southern coast. We got the most economical car available, since gasoline was 6 times more expensive than what we were paying in Oman! Our Toyota Yaris managed to shelter us from the wind, but when the road turned to ice and the winds went up to 110 km/hr our little car was being pushed off the road. With Paolo’s wonderful driving skills we made it through the storm to the hostel in Hofn. We spent the night with 3 travellers who also drove Yaris’ and when we woke up in the morning they were all still positioned how we left them.

The storm kept us stuck inside for another day. But the next morning we had clear blue skies to explore the beautiful landscape. There were endless white mountains, and glaciers that twinkled in the sunlight. The highlight was Vatnajokull glacier lake where we watched glaciers big and small float slowly past us, right next to the highway!

We ended our vacation in the Blue Lagoon , which contains geothermal seawater with active ingredients (minerals, silica and algae) known for its positive effects on the skin. A total tourist trap, but something to do once in your life. If you want the real experience, head to the local baths that are just as hot and steamy, minus the stinky sulphur odour (even the smallest towns have baths!).



Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.203s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 14; qc: 70; dbt: 0.0698s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb