Headwind and Waterfalls


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » Southwest
June 30th 2009
Published: July 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Route to Skogar


SeljalandsfossSeljalandsfossSeljalandsfoss

The first of many waterfalls on the south coast
As yesterday, we have a good sleep in, and are again one of the last tents on the camp ground by the time we finally crawl out of the tent. Good thing the sun doesn't shine too much in Iceland - that way you can sleep as long as you want without getting roasted!
While I start packing up the tent, Nadine goes shopping for some groceries. On her way to the store, she already notices that the wind isn't with us today...
On the way out of town, we stop by the petrol station - I need some new burning liquid, enough with uncontrollable flames and sooty pots! They don't have much, so I opt for some charcoal lighter fluid which the clerk assures me, will burn. We'll see...
The sky is cloudy, but no rain, the landscape not much more interesting than yesterday - flat as pancake, straight roads, and nothing but pastures. As we slowly make our way towards the coast, the headwind gets stronger, but the landscape also becomes a lot more interesting. Mountains come into view, with grass growing up them as far as we can see, their peaks disappearing in thick fog.
We take a
Behind the waterBehind the waterBehind the water

There is a path behind the waterfall, but most people emerged completely wet. Not a good idea if you still have 40km of headwind cycling...
break at Seljalandsfoss, the first of a number of stunning waterfalls that drop down the grassy steep slopes of the mountains along the South coast. Continuing along the coast, we get to see the Iceland of tourist guides: intense green, waterfalls, houses with grass roofs, and Iceland horses running by the side of the road. Absolutely stunning - so stunning that we can almost forget about the strong headwind. But it's still there, and every 5 kilometers we take a break, have a drink of water or a snack, and then continue. After 60 exhausting kilometers, we arrive at Skógar. Coming around a mountain ridge, a huge waterfall comes into view, with a tiny town at its feet. As it turns out, the campground is exactly at the foot of Skógafoss, and almost completely empty.
While we can't find a pool in town, at least the campground has showers. After a shower, we take a hike up to the top of the waterfall, and look back down at our tiny tent and bikes. Back down at the campground, we have some dinner at a nearby diner, and then head back to the campground for some tea. When we try the
Green & WaterfallGreen & WaterfallGreen & Waterfall

Typical south coast scenery
new lighting fluid, it refuses to light outright. Perfect! So back to soot and forest fires...
After a cup of tea, we're dead tired, and head straight to bed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Hmmm...cheese sandwich!Hmmm...cheese sandwich!
Hmmm...cheese sandwich!

Great food to get your energy levels back up!
Like from a tourist guideLike from a tourist guide
Like from a tourist guide

How much more stereotypical can you get?
All this way...All this way...
All this way...

...and we're back in Edinburgh!
Use the space!Use the space!
Use the space!

If you have a huge rock sitting on your field, why not use the space unterneath it for storage?
SkogafossSkogafoss
Skogafoss

60 metres of waterfall loveliness!
Burning down the house!Burning down the house!
Burning down the house!

Back to the old lighter fluid...
Hmmm...tea!Hmmm...tea!
Hmmm...tea!

Can the scenery BE any more beautiful??


Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0324s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb