Valhöll


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » Southwest
June 25th 2009
Published: July 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

When going to bed last night, I was already feeling quite cold, and it doesn't get better all night. When I wake up in the morning, I'm still shivering, and it turns out that I have a fever...just perfect, exactly what I need on a bike tour!
Spending another night in the tent next to the cold lake is not an option, so after some thinking, we decide to check into a nearby hotel, and hope to be able to continue cycling tomorrow. Unfortunately, the only hotel close by is the Valhöll, and it's quite luxurious, and thus expensive. Through a special deal we are able to spend one night there, and only spend all our money (at the normal rates, we would not have been able to afford the night at all). I drag myself out of the tent, help take it down, and we get on the bikes for a few kilometers.
At the hotel, I drop into bed immediately, and spend the day sleeping. Meanwhile, Nadine is trying to work out a way for us to get to Reykjavik, so we can withdraw money and afford another few nights in a hotel there. Nobody knows about a regular bus service, but the receptionist offers that a member of staff, who leaves for Reykjavik just past midnight, can take us and our bikes to the capital.
Thus, we spend the rest of the day in the hotel - me sleeping, and Nadine taking walks around the area, taking photos - until we go for some fancy dinner (included in the price of the night) in the hotel's dining room.
Around midnight, we head down to the reception, and shortly after, the cook appears with his van, loads our bikes into the van, and greets us with "Did you hear? Michael Jackson is dead!".
The next hour we spend in the van, trying to make conversation, which is made difficult by the fact that it's early in the morning, I'm ill, and the cook's English is not the best. Once we arrive in Reykjavik, he drops us off at the new hotel, where we check in, and drop into bed immediately.

P.S. mlb.is is reporting that, on 9 July 2009, the Hotel Valhöll burned down completely. So I guess that was our only night in the hotel...


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Valhöll parking lotValhöll parking lot
Valhöll parking lot

Waiting for the van to pick us up...


Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0584s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb