Craters, geysirs, and soccer


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » Southwest » Vogar
June 22nd 2016
Published: June 22nd 2016
Edit Blog Post

Today started slow as we kept trying to see the midnight sun and the moon last night. At 12:45am you could barely see the sunset as the fog had moved in on all sides except the Northwest. We tried again at 2am for sunrise. At that point Judith didn't even get Emma up as the moon and sun were no longer visible through the fog everywhere.

Thus we left in fog... That just got denser as we drove the Ring Road towards Reyjavik. However as soon as we were through the moors the fog lifted and was gone.

As we continued along we approached a farmstead called Hraunsnef that had maps (postcards) of local features that were mapped with descriptions and drawings showing the living areas for elves, dwarves, hidden people, and others. In the shop we also found candles made by disabled people in the region.

The valley had many volcanic cones and craters to the north. Spectacular sights! We stopped at Grabork which is the largest crater from about 3,000 years ago. We could walk on pathways all the way to the crater. You could also walk all the way around the top lip. Noah was the only one to do this.

We continued to Borganes where we had a picnic lunch on the sea wall behind the Settlement Center. At lunch we realized we had sat on the ground and not been attacked by ants, bees, or flies. However within minutes we were invaded by an friendly cat. Here the kids took their picture jumping off the wall (not really they jumped back but it doesn't look that way). We then checked out the logistics of the Settlement Center exhibit. We realized that it was a great deal of listening to audio and that seemed beyond Sam. Also Egils saga is a bit frightening of an exhibit. So on our way we went.

On our way to Reyjavik we crossed under Hvalfjordur in the only underwater tunnel in Iceland. From there we headed East to see Geysir and Thingvellir. The kids enjoyed learning about the Althing (Icelandic legislative body - oldest in world), the Logberg (law cliff), and the fissures filled with crystal clear water.

From there we headed to Geysir. Needless to say Sam passed out and Mary stayed with him. Noah was excited to see Strokker and he wanted to stand on the other side. So he and Mike walked over. On the way Noah decided to take a selfie in the steam. Next thing we know Strokker has exploded and Noah is soaked!!

So Noah thinking that was awesome - stayed and was drenched by the time he and Mike decided to walk back to the car for dry clothes. Emma and Judith walked on to see the other areas.

Afterwards we came back to find Mike using the car to help jump start another tourist's car with cables from two workers at the Geysir gift shop.

On the way back we stopped in Reykholt to eat dinner at a pizza place called Mica's. Noah had BBQ chicken pizza, Emma had Hawaiian pizza, Sam had cheese, Mary had prosciutto bruschetta, Mike and Judith had Cheese Delight (blue cheese, Parmesan, mozzarella, ricotta and then raspberry syrup drizzled on top). Just before our food came the Icelandic staff came running out of their staff room cheering as Iceland had just won their Euro Cup match. Iceland and Hungary are in and Portugal is out.

Then on to our house in Vogar. There had been a miscommunication with the cleaning ladies and the house wasn't cleaned. By the time they got here we had already found sheets for the beds and duvets and pillows. We changed those and then were getting other stuff together. They were so apologetic - but it happens. You can either eat lemons or make lemonade. Funny but the ladies arrived excited from the futball (soccer) game also. So neat to be here with the excitement!!!

On the flip side - this house is GREAT!!! I'll post pictures tomorrow.

Favorites -

Mary - the rift at Thingvellir and her prosciutto sandwich at dinner

Noah - getting sprayed by the Geysir Strokkur

Sam - the pizza

Emma - watching Noah get soaked and then seeing the Geysir area

Judith - seeing the crystal clear water in the rifts at Thingvellir. Last year it was pretty but under sunlight they are even more crystal clear. Walking to the crater was cool also.

Mike - seeing the Thingvellir area.




Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



Tot: 0.174s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0799s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb