Iceland


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » Southwest » Reykjavík
March 10th 2017
Published: March 15th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Thursday 2 March 2017

After a fantastic 2 weeks in Norway on the MS Spitsbergen we attempted to fly to Iceland on a 6.10pm flight that was heading to Copenhagen before connecting with a flight to Reykjavik. The flight was delayed 2hrs in Bergen and we missed our connecting flight forcing us to stay in Copenhagen for the night (at the expense of SAS fortunately).

Stayed overnight at the Hilton Hotel (the one at the airport). Very comfortable place and was within walking distance of the airport. All under cover too, so we did not have to brave the sub 0 temperatures in Denmark.

We changed some Australian currency in Denmark into Iceland Kroner. THIS WAS A BIG MISTAKE! Without thinking about it, we lost money on the change into Danish Kroner (DKK) then lost more when it was changed into Icelandic Kroner (ISK). It was so easy to forget about theses countries having their own currency. We ended up losing about 40% of the value of our money. Of course there are no commissions! Just rubbish exchange rates! Deep Breaths …This is all part of the journey.

Friday 3 March 2017

We caught the 8.10am flight to Oslo then the 10.10 to Reykjavik arriving at 11.45am, which is an hour or so from the airport, then checked into our hotel. We were tired and the hotel was very welcoming and warm.

We missed the first day of our Iceland tour but the company was able to re-arrange some things so we don’t really miss out on too much.

We had a look around the city and spent an hour at the Volcano House. We saw a couple of films that focused on a few volcano events in Iceland in the last 40 years. It was quite fascinating. Just loved these films.

I went to hunt the northern lights again by bus (Walter stayed in). Unfortunately we did not see the lights, but the night was incredibly clear, but cold. The tour guide gave me a lot of tips for the camera setting to take good images of the Light when I do see them.

Saturday 4 March 2017

Picked up at our hotel in Reykjavik and travelled to our wilderness adventure. The landscape we drove through had a sense of emptiness around. Almost everywhere you looked it was white, snow upon snow.

Unlike the snowfalls we had in Norway, this snow has crispness to it. It is crunchy and deep when you step into it. The alternative to stepping into the snow is to walk on the icy pathways. Not sure what is worse – ending up on my backside on the street or getting stuck knee deep in the snow – which is like mud and I am helpless to pull myself out – needing the assistance of kind fellow travellers.

We were picked up at around 8.15am to be driven about 2 hours into the mountains and onto the Volcano Huts Porsmork. It is beautiful here. Not too cold until the wind blows then it becomes quite cruel and my ears and nose begin to freeze.

We went hiking into the mountains and the views were spectacular. Just loved it. My fitness (or lack thereof) forced me to abandon the hike after about an hour, but Walter went on to see more of the gorgeous snow covered landscape.

5 March 2017

We slept in today. The landscape remains covered with snow, some of which was deposited overnight. We went snow shoeing today, just close to the huts. Wearing snow shoes is very awkward. You don’t slip, you fall on your face if you aren’t careful. Walter wasn’t careful. Hehe

We were picked up at 12 and driven back to Reykjavik. We stopped at a beautiful waterfall. We were told Justin Beiber shot some sort of music video there about 2 months ago. Unfortunately they did not mix with the locals while they were in the neighbourhood. Kind of sounds like some celebrities and their crew. Very focused on getting out of a place what they need, without regard to giving much back.

As we 4 wheel drove through the wilderness, that was all ice and snow and underground the fire of the volcano, it made sense that some of the Game of Thrones production team used this location for some of the cinematography. It is wild, and devoid of animals and vegetation. Just rocks, rivers, snow and ice. Not at all hospitable or welcoming but still spectacular.

6 March 2017

Our last day in Iceland was spent visiting the Geysir, the waterfalls and the parliament area that has existed since 930AD. This tour known as the “golden circle” was stunning. We had a fantastic tour company, Iceland Horizon. Every stop was made special by the guide providing exactly enough information about it. Just wonderful.

We went to the Blue Lagoon that night. This is a newly created hot spring – has been around for only a few years. The water is blue and has some healing properties apparently. We only had an hour or so at this place. This is definitely not enough time to really enjoy the restorative waters.

7 March 2017

Had an early flight so needed to get started at about 3am. Why, oh why, do I do this to us? Sleep ins are so few and far between.

Iceland was beautiful, even though we froze and spent a bloody fortune (both Norway and Iceland were expensive) – it is certainly worth a visit in winter and if we can do it (money and healthwise), return for the summer or spring one day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0567s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb