Reykjavik, Iceland


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » Southwest » Reykjavík
August 14th 2012
Published: August 19th 2012
Edit Blog Post

A travel day today. A relaxed morning in ilulissat and we said goodbye to the view from our hotel – possibly the best hotel view ever – and headed to Ilulissat airport. It is a short runway airport so only propeller planes can land there – no jets. The jets land at Kangerluassaq a couple of hundred kilometers south. The short runway means weight restrictions for take off so the plane takes off without refueling and has to land at Kangerluassaq for fuel; Once we leave KL we head east over the inland ice. Previously we have only seen coastal ice in the form of glaciers and icebergs. This is the second largest ice cap in the world and it is awe-inspiring. River after river after river of ice as far as the eye can see. The view of the glaciers on the east coast was a highlight.

I know there have been a lot of superlatives in Greenland. It truly was a surprise. I had no pre-conceived ideas about it and had done no research about it but it has unexpectedly turned into a highlight.

Landing in the “delightfully chaotic” Reykjavik domestic airport, conveniently located right on the edge of the CBD literally five minutes from the town hall. Weather is better than our first visit; not sunny and warm but at least not raining. Time for a very quick wander around the cute and lovely old town centre before dinner at the nearby fish factory restaurant (see previous entry about menus).

Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 13; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0305s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb