Iceland


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » Southwest » Reykjavík
June 9th 2011
Published: June 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Greetings from Iceland!
After a long and bumpy start involving the wrong terminal, being stuck on the tarmac for an extra hour in Canada 100 feet from our gate because of Thunderstorms, and running around Canada like crazy people we are here.
Iceland is amazing. We got in at 8am and since then have been going non-stop in our tiny Volkswagon Polo which we have already done multiple U-turns and odd off-roading in. We ate at Cafe Aroma in a small town next to the capital and met two English speaking servers who gave us great advice about Iceland including the fact that we were accidently in the wrong city. After figuring out where we were, we went to around a couple of small towns and checked out the Ocean and the President's house. One of Iceland's claim to fame is that the President's house basically has no security and the Prime Minister is listed in the phone book. By far the best part of the day was the Blue Lagoon which is essentially an enormous non chemical added hot spring hottub with views of the mountain and ocean. Everyone is Iceland has been incredibly nice and funny. I'm sad we don't have more time here as there is so much more to do and see.
The language is crazy different and hard to read. My favorite mistake is when Sam bought some kinda of weird tarter sauce instead of mayonaise for our sandwich picnic.
We are all settled into our hostel and preparing to go to bed before 10pm as non of us slept well on the plane and are pretty much crashing after riding out coffee and excitement. Tomorrow we are heading up north early to vist the main geiser and waterfall before flying to London tomorrow afternoon.
Time for sleep.
- Mary


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0806s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb