Glaciers, Snowstorms and Waterfalls


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » Southwest » Reykjavík
November 22nd 2008
Published: November 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

ParlimentParlimentParliment

This place is where the first parliment was set up, i think it year 850
Wow, Snowstorms, Glaciers, Waterfalls and Lava Tunnels all in one day, i am exhausted!

I have got to say that Iceland is certainly one of my most favorite places, the scenery is fantastic and the people or kind of friendly.

This morning we went on tour to a glacier, waterfalls and climbng though a lava tunnel, the weather in Reykjavik was raining but by the time we got out of the city it had started snowing, it is so much better having it snow than rain.

On the track to the glacier we had to stop and let air out of the tyres as there was to much snow to try and drive through, it was so windy and was about -5 degrees, we all jumped out of the jeep to take photos and experience the extremities.

By the time we got to the top of the glacier there was a full on snow storm, if i held my arm strecthed out in from of me you couldnt see futher than my hand, my jeans froze my face froze and i even think that my teeth froze.

We spent about five min in the snow storm
Timmy and Dad in snowstormTimmy and Dad in snowstormTimmy and Dad in snowstorm

Wow this was windy and freezing, everyone thought i was crazy
on the glacier, we really didnt see the glacier at all but i did manage ot eat glacier ice, mmmmm yummy and fresh.

After we all jumped into the jeep we headed off the glacier towards the lava tunnels, it took a long time for my jeans to unfreeze and feeling return to my legs and feet!

The tunnel we went into was about 200 km long, we only climbed about 5 km down into the tunnel, it was so cold that most of the rocks were frozen with water from the roof of the tunnel, it was slippery, we spent a relativly small amount of time in the tunnel and then after we finished there we went to check out some waterfalls, our guide said that the water that was comin gout of the mountian was about 300 years old and that it came from the glacier that we were just standind on, wow.

We left our hotel at 8.30 and arrived back at about 6.30, man we are exhausted!

I hope you enjoy the pics!

Daddio/Haz

ps...Timmy was popular on this trip.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Lava TunnelsLava Tunnels
Lava Tunnels

It was to dark to see the tunnels, well for you at least


Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 47; dbt: 0.066s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb