A Great View When It's Not Pitch Black


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » Southwest » Reykjavík
September 27th 2014
Published: June 22nd 2023
Edit Blog Post

Tjornin PondTjornin PondTjornin Pond

I was treated to a stunning sunrise during my run.
I got up early to go for a run in the morning. After a while I reached the Tjornin Pond and I was greeted with an absolutely stunning sunrise. I didn't have my camera with me sadly (it's way too heavy to carry on a run), but I did have my phone so I was able to get some pictures.

Our plan for today was the Golden Circle, which is (obviously) a circular bus route that covers some of the main sights in the area around Reykjavik.

The first stop was the Geysir hot springs area, featuring the Strokkur geyser, which regularly let off a huge explosion of steaming hot water.

Next was a walk around the Gullfoss waterfalls, where there were a number rainbows created by the spray from the waterfalls.

Next was Pingvellir National Park, where we were dropped off by the bus at one location and then we followed a walk of a couple of miles through various valleys to another location where we were going to be picked-up again.

The pick-up location looked strangely familiar. Some nearby houses were the source of the lights we had seen the night before (see Bracing Ourselves For The Cold Wasn't Necessary).
Hot Water PoolHot Water PoolHot Water Pool

Pool in the Geysir hot springs area - 80 to 100 degrees.
As it had been so dark, they were the only way to establish that we were in that same location.

There was actually a very nice view.

As we had not seen the Aurora last night, the tour promised a second attempt for free. Sadly it was raining, so the conditions were even worse. We decided that it would not be worth staying up until 3.00am given that there was no chance of seeing anything.

I hope we don't live to regret that decision.

We needed to be up early in the morning as it was another early morning flight. Whilst we were sat in the hotel reception waiting for our taxi to the airport and sadly too early for breakfast, there was another amazing sunrise. No time to go out for photographs unfortunately.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Strokkur GeyserStrokkur Geyser
Strokkur Geyser

The regular hot spirt.
Gullfoss WaterfallsGullfoss Waterfalls
Gullfoss Waterfalls

Along with a rainbow.
Gullfoss WaterfallsGullfoss Waterfalls
Gullfoss Waterfalls

Another view.
Pingvellir National ParkPingvellir National Park
Pingvellir National Park

Walk through the rocky valleys.
Pingvellir National ParkPingvellir National Park
Pingvellir National Park

The location from the previous night.


Tot: 0.194s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 20; qc: 76; dbt: 0.1025s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb