A Day in Reykjavik


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » Southwest » Reykjavík
December 27th 2018
Published: December 31st 2018
Edit Blog Post

I caught the bus into the big bus stop (the nice taxi man gave me several tickets to use), unloaded my very heavy bag into a locker and walked into the city. It took me about 15 minutes, past ponds with lots of ducks, swans and gulls. People were out feeding them. There was a mother swam with 4 babies that were as big as her. You could only tell because they were still a little bit grey in colour... big babies! It was really cold. The wind here in Iceland is almost relentless just different speeds of relentless. I walked to the end of the city to the convention centre which was at least lovely and warm and then wandered back into the main street where the most remarkable and scary lighted cat awaits. I walked up to the convention centre which has concerts and other 'stuff' and then headed back down into the city. I had booked myself onto a walking trip but another one was starting at the scary cat as I approached. I just joined in with this one. The guide took us around Reyjkavik for about 2 hours. Very interesting.

I walked up the hill to the amazing cathedral. It took 40 years to build and is designed to look like the basalt columns and icebergs of the country. When you walk into a church, regardless of whether you're religious or not, everyone is quiet. People were just sitting or wandering. There was an amazing pipe organ, it wasn't being played while I was there but there is a couple of great youtube clips: pipe organ Reyjkavik. It was starting to get dark at about 3pm so I headed back along the duck ponds towards the bus station. I found the 3 bus and climbed on board with all my bags! Found my airbnb for the night, met my host and her daughter. Really nice people. They went off for a swim in the evening and I had a shower and went to bed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Aurora out my windowAurora out my window
Aurora out my window

Woke up by chance and chatting on Messenger, looked out my window and the aurora was dancing!! Much excitment


Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0624s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb