Horns and all


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » South » Kirkjubæjarklaustur
June 24th 2022
Published: June 25th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Horns and all


We’d intended to be up early but at 8am Ian is still snoring and I hate to wake him as he has developed a nasty cold and was up half the night coughing and spluttering. Poor boy.

This morning we are off to see some more waterfalls, starting with Seljalandsfoss, a massive fall which you can walk behind. We are suitably clad in full waterproofs and the camera is in a protective case…we know we are in for a good soaking! It’s worth it though.

Half an hour later we have reached Skogar - first a trip to another large waterfall, Skogarfoss. We are told that it’s worth climbing the 370 steep steps to the top of the falls so we decide to do it. There are some fine views from the top but my camera has stopped working - I don’t think it likes the cold! Half an hour in my pocket and it springs back to life.

A short drive away, we decide to visit the Skogar Museum…more Ian’s cup of tea than mine but quite an impressive collection. First to the outdoor museum of reconstructed buildings…a farmhouse, a school and a church plus a house made entirely from driftwood. There are also a technology and folklore buildings housing large collections of artefacts.

Not far from the museum is another smaller waterfall called Kvernufoss. It’s a really scenic walk through a mossy canyon to reach it. We decide not to venture behind this one as the path looks very slippery.

Now it’s time to head for Vik, a small town famous for its black beach. First we drive up a steep road full of hairpin bends to see the rock formations at Dyrholaey. There are some nice views of the glaciers and the black beach but the drive up was a bit hairy!

Now it’s back down to Vik and an actual walk on the black beach. We take care not to go close to the sea’s edge…the currents here are strong and waves have been known to crash closer than expected sweeping unsuspecting tourists out to sea! :-(

Our next campsite is at least an hours drive away so we make tracks…there was no shower at the last campsite so I am looking forward to a hot shower!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0455s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb