14 July Myvatn to Akureyri to Reykjavik


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » North » Mývatn
July 31st 2012
Published: July 31st 2012
Edit Blog Post

Our last day together included two crater hikes before lunch, a drive to Akureyri, a flight back to Reykjavik, and dinner near the pond.

The morning hikes took us to Namafjall and Hverfjall, two overlapping calderas. Before and after hiking up to the main rim of Namafjall we took in the airs of the nearby mud geysers. The pumice trails easily gave way under our feet and we were fortunate to avoid the rain which would have made the surface dangerously slippery. The hike up to Hverfall on broken stone was not as eventfull as the way down. This provided a fun slalom run for the more nimble, and a challenge of balance and quad strength for others. At the bottom of the trail we entered Dimmuborgir (Dark Castles) as area of raised lava formations.

After a picnic lunch we headed for Akureyri passing a golf course between craters and stopping at Godafoss.

Upon landing at the Reykjavik domestic airport we headed to our hotel, caught up on cocktails and shopping, then reunited for our last dinner together. The evening ended with an extended farewell session in the lobby.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

HverfjallHverfjall
Hverfjall

Most recent burp - 2,100 years ago
Formation of DimmuborgirFormation of Dimmuborgir
Formation of Dimmuborgir

Zoom in for details
Golf courseGolf course
Golf course

Fade away shot through the van window
GodafossGodafoss
Godafoss

Legend has it that the local chief threw all of his pagan relics into the falls upon embracing Christianity.


Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0581s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb