12 July Southeast to North Central - Hofn to Myvatn


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » North » Mývatn
July 30th 2012
Published: July 30th 2012
Edit Blog Post

This was a driving day - repositioning to the Myvatn area for a few hikes in the north central area of the country. Before leaving Hofn we took in the Glacier Museum. Besides the historical and geologic displays was a running loop of the Aston Martin car chase scene from the James Bond film Die Another Day. The scene was filmed on Jokulsarlon which had been blocked and allowed to freeze. Scenes of several other movies have been at that location. Riding along the east coast fjords we moved into one of the older parts of the country. Most of the country's landmass is relatively new; shaped by volcanic and glacial activity, and erosion. The east and west coasts are older and shaped more by sea erosion; the last volcanic activity being before the last ice age. We made a short stop in the coastal town of Djupivogur before heading along Berufjorour to our lunch stop by a waterfall near the head of the fjord.

Here we left the Ring Road and headed north into the mountains on a secondary road called Oxi (The Axe). After 50 km we were in sight of Lagarfljot, a long lake reminiscent of Scotlands lochs. This is fitting as lagarfljotsormurrin (the Lagarflot Worm), a giant serpent similar to the Loch Ness Monster, is said to live in the lake. At times clouds of black gases from rotting material are released from the lake. At Egilssstadir we headed west and after 100 km were back in an area of volcanic influence with views over the lava plain of the shield volcano Kolloftadyngja, and Heroubreio - the Queen of Iceland.

After dinner at our hotel in Reykjahlid by Myvatn we took a walk along the lake. Not knowing we would spend part of walk on lava I wore flipflops, one of which blew out. An ever present pocket knife cut a new hole in the sole, and Raj's surgical skills provided a knot that is still holding. Although that's a small success compared to Jo's veteran boots surviving on duct tape. A round of Brennavin capped off the evening.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0418s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb