Day 7 - Goðafoss, Lake Mývatn & Dimmuborgir


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » North » Akureyri
July 17th 2012
Published: November 13th 2012
Edit Blog Post

The next day our first stop was yet another waterfall, on its own this is a spectacular waterfall but there just so many beautiful waterfalls in Iceland.....

Later we had a walk round Lake Myvatn and visited an open air mineral bath. The temperature of the pool was a lovely 38 degrees and the sun was out too. The blistering temperatures of around 14 degrees was enough to give me a bit of a tan, by tan I obviously mean I got a bit burnt:-) The water came straight from the earth itself and was mineral rich, it reminded me of the dead sea as you had a pleasant slimy feeling all over me, either that or they hadn’t changed the water for a while:-). I preferred this pool at Námaskarð Pass to the very touristy one at the blue Lagoon and not just cause it was a third of the price, first of all the water seemed to be much more mineral rich and it wasn’t as full.

After drying off we visited the lava maze at Dimmuborgir, this was full of strange lava formations, including the occasional lava tunnel. There are numerous walks round the lava field and you can spend anywhere form half an hour to 3 hours wandering round.

We then left the lava maze and the countryside and headed off into Iceland’s second capital Akureyi, we stayed in a lovely B&B found in a deserted valley 15 minutes outside the city. It doesn’t take too long to walk round the city but we at least were able to get hold of some veggie curry at the local takeaway.

Boring bits

Akureyri Accommodation - Draflastadir Guesthouse, Draflastadir. Fnjóskadalur.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 11; qc: 33; dbt: 0.1048s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb