Icebergs and farmhouses


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » East
July 3rd 2012
Published: August 4th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Day 3 – We woke up early today and had some breakfast – I had Skyr of course, with some museli. Then we got started on our day. We were heading out to Skalanes, another farmhouse in the eastern fjords. But our first stop was very cool. We headed to the place where icebergs that have broken off from the glacier head out to sea. It was very cold, but not raining (!) and it was so cool to see. We watched the icebergs sail out, some crashing into other larger ones that had gotten caught on the bottom and creating a big show and tumble of ice. Then we went down to the beach and stood with the ice that had washed up to shore. A very novel experience. From there we had a lot of driving to do to get to the farmhouse, but it was a beautiful drive and the weather turned from cloudy to blue skies by the time we arrived. Skalanes is 17km east of the easternmost town in that area, and this is where the 4x4 came in handy. In the last 4 km we had to cross three small rivers. Very scary, but Jeroen handled it like a champ. When we arrived we found that there were about 6 Scottish undergrads staying there for six weeks doing research. The house is on land that is used for conservation purposes and many birds come there to breed. At the cliffs we were able to see more puffins and well as gulls with their young. We took a nice hike to the cliffs and walked some of the surrounding area and then came back and relaxed outside a bit, talking to the students. Then we all had dinner together. After dinner we took another walk to the cliffs to see the birds again. Then it was back to our nice room and I slept quite well.


Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.575s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 31; qc: 48; dbt: 0.247s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb