A little Hungarian bike ride from Eger


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Northern Hungary » Eger
April 16th 2011
Published: April 16th 2011
Edit Blog Post




Well we caught the little train up into the Nemzeti Park in Hungary from the outskirts of Eger. It was a little odd as I managed to get off the train before the final stop and had to pedal after it to catch up with Mrs Bilbo who had wisely stayed on the train. After catching up and a quick beer to calm down soon we set off into the Beech tree forest towards an area called the Hungarian Gate before heading down to Miskolc.

Our Hybrids were a bit over loaded with two panniers each and we had bought a local map from a guide who spoke excellent English back in Felsőtárkány. We had a small bar of fig cake and a bottle of water. It was a very pretty push up or ride and a we had a great view of the plateau and the local horses as we passed under the gate (a not very impressive wooden structure). Then we began the descent to Miskolc.

What we had not prepared for was that though the rest of the ride was down hill it was very bumpy, slowly bits began falling off and the bikes got noisier. I had to call a halt after some 20km and work over both bikes with the Allen keys to keep the things together.

And so into Miskolc.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0406s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb