Eger


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Northern Hungary » Eger
June 8th 2009
Published: August 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Eger - Day 2 (June 8)



A reasonably leisurely start for our train trip to Eger. My room mate and I managed to find coffee and pastry at a local market near the metro and get back in time to catch a local bus to the train station. The countryside was green and agricultural for most of the trip. Our accommodation was really lovely rooms in small apartment style building.

Of course we had a brief orientation, followed by lunch. I’d heard so much about the tradition of cold berry soup (not a desert) that I decided to order this. It was really refreshing with lots of fresh fruit pureed and pieces (including orange) but it was fairly sweet. Oh well, the things we have to try.

The town was set out with a lovely main thoroughfare and a couple of squares, with historic statues. On the hill was the fortress which was closed. I ventured out for a walk to get to the ridge above the town, which afforded great views and a glimpse of the mountains behind.

Eger is famous for it’s bulls blood red wine which was to be found in the restaurants in
Statue in SquareStatue in SquareStatue in Square

Hungarian soldiers defeating the Turks
the valley (about a 20 minute walk). The Valley is called “the valley of the beautiful woman” (or shortened to nice woman on the streets signs to fit). There are lots of cellars built into the hills. It was a very pleasant place to sit and eat, and taste the local fare. We were entertained by some local folk musicians and singers, who unfortunately were not all of the same quality. The violinist was great but the others couldn’t keep in time. The folk music of these areas creates some sounds that are unfamiliar to my ear and I’m still getting used to it. Perhaps I’ll love it by the end of the trip as my understanding of it grows. Maybe.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



13th August 2009

so...have you got used to the folk music yet??!! What a pretty place, i like the sound of all those cellars built into the hills, and the view beyond the town is beautiful too. X Keri

Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0455s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb