Hungary for more


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Northern Hungary » Eger
September 26th 2007
Published: September 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hi everyone,

Just a quick note today because we haven't been up to a whole lot lately.

Yesterday we climbed aboard an overnight train to Hungary. Compared to our last overnight train it was a comparitively short 8hrs, but once again we had to get up early to present our passports (the major drawback to overnight trains).

We arrived in Eger nice and early, and set out to explore the city. We started with a great fort that sits just above the city, which was very cool. Unfortunately the long train ride and lack of sleep started to catch up with me and I had to go home for a sleep... my sleep did nothing to make me feel better, and later I developed an upset stomach. At the same time Matthew has come down with a cold, making Andrae the healthiest one for the first time this trip. We've decided to stay in Eger for an extra night to help us recover. Fortunately, by leaving Romania a day early we had an extra day up our sleeves anyway.

Today we climbed an old minaret. It's 40 m tall, and has 97 narrow steps on the inside. For the majority of the way up the stairs were only shoulder width apart! The view was definitely worth it from the top.

Tomorrow hopefully everyone will be feeling better so we can get down to the serious business of drinking red wine (our purpose for coming to Eger in the first place!)

Til next time stay safe
Nick


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



26th September 2007

Ahh Hungary
Don't forget to try Unicum, it should fix your stomach complaint.

Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0843s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb