Bulls Blood - Eger


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Northern Hungary » Eger
May 20th 2007
Published: May 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Wine...Lots of it.Wine...Lots of it.Wine...Lots of it.

These are some of the casks where you could get your plastic bottle filled up with lovely wine for a couple of euros.
We crossed into Hungary at a very small border crossing from Slovakia, so small a road we got lost and couldn't find Hungary for a while!

Very surprisingly the first building we met in Hungary, about 2km over the border, was a campsite. The campsite was hosting the '11th annual international cave rescue conference' but there was still plenty of room for us. Weather was good so we parked up, got the bikes out and went exploring the local Aggteleki national park. Good cycle through very picturesque hills and scenery.

Eger
The days drive was through very rural and very beautiful rolling hills of north Hungary, down to the town of Eger. Eger is famous for its wine but its also a very pretty, laid back old town with some lovely buildings. We spent a few days strolling around the streets by day and sampling the local wine in the evenings.

The local wine is called 'Egri Bikaver' (Bulls Blood) and there is an area on the outskirts of town called Szepasszony Volgy (Valley of the beautiful women). The valley of the beautiful women is basically one horseshoe shaped street that you could walk in 10mins and
Lonesome cowgirl wine tasting...Lonesome cowgirl wine tasting...Lonesome cowgirl wine tasting...

Shilpa was left to do the tasting for some wine we bought to stock up the van, as I was driving that day.
has got to be one of the coolest streets in the world. I doubt anybody could really walk the street in 10mins as every one of the 50 or so buildings is a cozy little wine celler carved into the rock, some of which are just too tempting to pass by!

Some of the cellers are well painted with nice wooden seating, others are just a dark celler with an old man outside who will fill you a bottle of wine direct from the cask for about 2euros a litre!!

Our favorite was celler number 1, which was down a staircase, had a very damp mossey wall and an old lady who filled your glass from a long glass straw of red wine held in mid air. This place also had a great atmosphere and we met a nice group of americans who were working out here and had a great and long night drinking in here with them. After about 3 hours of wine tasting our bill still only came to 3 euros each!!

The cool thing about this place is that its not pretentious at all, unlike a lot of other wine areas. In the
Our Favourite cellerOur Favourite cellerOur Favourite celler

Shilpa came back the next day for a more sober wine tasting and to purchase a few bottles to stock up in the van.
park in the middle of the street students were getting pretty tipsy on the wine with their campfires alongside the rich german and americans on wine 'tours'. You can bring up any kind of plastic bottle, water, coke, etc and get them filled up direct from the cask for next to nothing!

This is a place we would like to visit again both for the lovely town and the fun atmosphere of the valley of the beautiful women.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Glass being refilled...Glass being refilled...
Glass being refilled...

This is the method used for refilling your glass in one of the cellers. Note the wine flowing from mid air into the glass.
Another wine celler...Another wine celler...
Another wine celler...

The outside of one of the cellers.
american dudesamerican dudes
american dudes

These were the american dudes we met in the wine celler. We had a night cap back at the campsite after.
Well, Well, Well....Well, Well, Well....
Well, Well, Well....

A well in a farm on the drive through northern Hungary.


Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 10; qc: 56; dbt: 0.049s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb