BLT Day #31: Budapest is AMAZING!!!


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Central Hungary » Budapest
May 24th 2015
Published: May 27th 2015
Edit Blog Post

If Amsterdam was the perfect place to start this river cruise, Budapest was certainly the perfect place to end it! We actually arrived on Saturday night about 10pm and we were greeted with the most beautiful lights I've seen in quite a while. Viking invited everyone to the Sun Deck for champagne and commentary about the sights we were seeing - on both sides of the Danube. It was magical!

Budapest was formed from two cities: Buda on one side of the river and Pest on the other. Buda is the older side with a medieval castle fortified city wall and several other very, very old buildings. It also has some beautiful old churches and museums. Pest, is the newer, more thriving part of the city with the spectacular Parliment building and several other beautiful buildings sit right along the river. When we cruised in, it was hard to know which side of the river to look at most because there were so many brightly lighted buildings that it just took your breath away.

The today, we took a bus tour around both sides of the city and also stopped for walking tours. Our tour guide was wonderful and we were just amazed at the complex history of the area: before, during and after Communism. After the tour, we did some touring around on our own on the Pest side, where our ship was docked. The people are very friendly, the city is full of interesting places and we decided that maybe the Viking cruise from Budapest to Bucharest needs to go on our bucket list just so that we can get back to Budapest again! Somehow, our bucket list seems to be getting bigger in stead of smaller!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.252s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0605s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb