Exploring Budapest


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Central Hungary » Budapest
March 21st 2005
Published: January 17th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Budapest is a beautiful city to explore by foot.

One of the first things we came across was the statue of the Little Princess (Kiskiralylany Szobor).

The Széchenyi Chain bridge was the first permanent bridge between Buda and Pest across the Danube. The bridge was opened in 1849 and everyone -even the nobility (previously exempt from all taxation)- had to pay a toll to use it. From the bridge we had a great view on the Parliament.


Matthias Church was the second largest church of medieval Budapest. It now has a diamond pattern roof tiles and gargoyles laden spire.

Fisherman's Bastion is a terrace situated on the Buda bank of Budapest. Though it seems much older, it is built in 1905. There are seven turrets representing the Magyar tribes who entered the Carpathian Basin in the late 9th century.

On one of our many walks, we took the Sikló, a funicular railway built in 1870. We also visited the Hungarian State Opera and admired the rich decoration inside.

But one of the topics we liked the most, was the visit of the Szécheny Baths. Before departure, we had seen quite some pictures of people playing chess at the side of the pool inside. So we definitely wanted to see this. And indeed, we saw people playing chess! The bath itself was quite large (nine indoor and outdoor pools). On the wall plaques you could see some more information about the water itself. Definitely worth a visit!


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0267s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb